Esteemed Contributor

Re: FIREWORKS AND PETS, ANY SOLUTIONS?

My dog (pit bull) is frightened and just pants and walks around the house. This year my vet gave me a prescription for pills. The first prescription is trazodone- I need to give him two pills because of his size. The other prescription is acepromazine- I need to give him 1 1/2 tablets. I hate the fireworks and what they do to my dog. I take him out early in the evening to go for his walk but if he hears any noise that relates to fireworks back he goes in the house. The fireworks go on for approximately two weeks. Every time I see a firework stand go up, I wish I could protest against these dangerous fireworks. There has to be one on every corner in my neighborhood. It is my understanding that they make around $15,000 to $20,000 at these stands. It is really sad but I try to help him as much as I can. Sometimes he tries to sit on me and that doesn't last long. He weighs about 85 lbs.

I can't wait for this holiday to be over.

Super Contributor

I've heard a lot of good things about a calming product called Composure. It seems to work better than Rescue Remedy for many people.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/vetri-science-composure-mini-bite/dp/42646?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium...

Super Contributor

I hate fireworks and this will continue for the next month or two. Tiggi is terrified and it's hard to get her to eat this time of year. She hides under one of my recliners and will not come out. I stick her food and water under the chair and she comes out in the middle of the night to use the litter box.

Tiggi is 14 years old today Smiley Happy (My Maine Coon).

PS. Anyone who shoots fireworks, I'd like to stick them you know where.

Honored Contributor

Collie-related breeds seem unusually sensitive to fireworks and thunder. My nutty neighbor across the street was setting off rockets one Fourth. I went out to check on my collie, Jett. He was on the sidewalk at the side of the house sound asleep while the rockets were landing around him. I had to make him get up and go in the house. He's the exception to the sensitive-collie syndrome.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thundershirt worked somewhat for my dogs - enough to let me hold them but the fear was still there. We always turned the volume on the tvs in both rooms up real high in addition to turning several noisy fans on. Often we could eliminate all fireworks noises. We tried the desensitizing tapes but those did nothing as the only noises were the real thing that frightened them. They were both shepherd collie mixes. Thankfully the dog we have now doesn't even notice the noise but does look up and watch the sky with fascination.

Valued Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}On 6/30/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 6/30/2014 Sheltie Mom said: Hi share, glad to meet another Sheltie person! I would stay home inside with the windows shut and the drapes closed with fans or a/c going. I don't know if you've ever tried the Thundershirts but it does seem to calm down my girl (mainly because I'm a slow poke getting it in her, lol) Also, giving one capsule of Benedryl also has a coming effect without any heavy drugs. My vet ok'd this.

SheltieMom, I noticed your location ..... my sisters live in Hamburg ... and I went to school in Orchard Park! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Waving hi Tinkrbl44! I've spend many a Sunday afternoon in Orchard Park!! Hope you get to come back home to visit WNY, weather is beautiful at this time of year you know!!

Honored Contributor

AS usual everyone here takes the easy but expensive approach to things. Dogs can be trained to not be afraid of the noise. Do you think hunting dogs are born to not mind being shot over? They are trained to it. It would be so much kinder to your dog to train them - they would no longer fear the noise of fireworks or thunder.

Honored Contributor

I have a 75 pound male dog that is terrified of fireworks. He seems to think the only safe place is behind the toilet! I try to keep the bathroom door closed - someday I am going to have to call a plumber to get him out!

I always stay home with him and somehow we make it through....

Super Contributor

Thundershirt and anti anxiety med from the vet on 4th of July for my little boy. He does much, much better with his medication. He was a wreck without it, on prior July 4ths.

Super Contributor

On 7/4/2014 happy housewife said:

AS usual everyone here takes the easy but expensive approach to things. Dogs can be trained to not be afraid of the noise. Do you think hunting dogs are born to not mind being shot over? They are trained to it. It would be so much kinder to your dog to train them - they would no longer fear the noise of fireworks or thunder.

I'm not sure - but that is probably bred into hunting dogs over the years not just training.

As for your first comment, it's our business what we spend our money on and how much we care to spend, not yours!