Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I've never seen it. 

It would alarm me, I think, for a second.

From time to time, I get weather alerts and Amber alerts on my iphone, and it always startles me.

I've turned those off on my cell phone.  The first time it happened, it was all three phones, mine, husband and daughter and it scared the bejeepers out of all of us, including the cat!

Honored Contributor

If I'm in the course of watching tv I just hit 'mute'.  Unfortunately, that horrible noise has already amped up my tinnitis to about 100x before I can get to the remote.  But at least you can either turn it off or mute it, since you can't take any other kind of control.

I'm surprised that some people haven't been seeing this sort of thing for many years.  With Charter, we've had EAS things for everything from weather to child abductions for as long as I can remember.

Respected Contributor

In the bay area we get the emergency alert system, or EAS, I have never heard of a FEMA test, anyone know what FEMA stands for.

I know its a stupid question.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I've never seen it. 

It would alarm me, I think, for a second.

From time to time, I get weather alerts and Amber alerts on my iphone, and it always startles me.

I've turned those off on my cell phone.  The first time it happened, it was all three phones, mine, husband and daughter and it scared the bejeepers out of all of us, including the cat!

Try having that happen on a train!  Literally a couple hundred cell phones making that loud screeching noise at once.  I am glad they do it though - esp for child abductions.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I noticed the same thing at just the same time OP did.

And it is different than ones I've seen before.

I also called my mom, because I have seen these supposedly once every 30 day type alerts/tests about 4 times in the last month. Her TV runs just about 24/7 and I had wondered if she was seeing them as often as I have noticed them.

Kind of has me wondering why the increase in frequency, and the change in 'format' if you will, and what kind of chatter or stuff 'they' may know or be concerned about.

I won't be one to incite panic, but it does make me more aware and questioning as to what might be going on. And I think anyone who had seen this as many times as I have in the last month or so, would come to the same conclusion.

I am taking into account that perhaps they are running the at different times on different networks etc. but still, they have been way more frequent than anything I have ever experienced.

@Mominohio Several posters including myself have provided FEMA's statement of their planned test today. if you need additional information google "FEMA test"

@JaneMarple

It isn't about today, It is about the fact that these 'tests' in general have been, in my view, increasing in frequency lately. I have seen at least four of them in the last month, and am simply sharing that I have never seen that many of these 'tests' in such a short period of time. 

I posted earlier in the thread "September is National Preparedness Month." Probably the reason you noticed them in the last month.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I also called my mom, because I have seen these supposedly once every 30 day type alerts/tests about 4 times in the last month. Her TV runs just about 24/7 and I had wondered if she was seeing them as often as I have noticed them.

Kind of has me wondering why the increase in frequency, and the change in 'format' if you will, and what kind of chatter or stuff 'they' may know or be concerned about.

I won't be one to incite panic, but it does make me more aware and questioning as to what might be going on. And I think anyone who had seen this as many times as I have in the last month or so, would come to the same conclusion.

I am taking into account that perhaps they are running the at different times on different networks etc. but still, they have been way more frequent than anything I have ever experienced.

@Mominohio Several posters including myself have provided FEMA's statement of their planned test today. if you need additional information google "FEMA test"

@JaneMarple

It isn't about today, It is about the fact that these 'tests' in general have been, in my view, increasing in frequency lately. I have seen at least four of them in the last month, and am simply sharing that I have never seen that many of these 'tests' in such a short period of time. 

That is because they do it WEEKLY and they have for years. Imagine that.

No subterfuge or agenda.

Esteemed Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

In the bay area we get the emergency alert system, or EAS, I have never heard of a FEMA test, anyone know what FEMA stands for.

Federal

Emergency

Management

Agency

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

@hsawaknow - Federal Emergency Management Agency.  It is part of Homeland Security.

Honored Contributor

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@JaneMarple

I posted earlier in the thread "September is National Preparedness Month." Probably the reason you noticed them in the last month.

@esmeesmerelda

Perhaps that is it. We are headed into October, so we'll see if the frequency cuts back to normal. Just something that is on my radar, and I intend to watch for.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Plaids!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18