Respected Contributor

For the first time ever, a wide green banner and that annoying beeping alarm just ran on my tv! It said it was a test from FEMA in the case of an emergency! The hair on my neck stood up! I wonder if this is their way of letting us know that we are in more danger than usual! I might be overly alarmed as I was in NYC just a short way away from the Chelsea bombing! I remember the first time we were leaving Manhattan and while stuck in traffic I saw a news banner scrolling on a building saying the terror threat level had been raised to ...! I hadn't been aware there even was a terror threat level until then! I have always thought we get more of the broadcast tests right before an attack! But, I've never, ever seen this FEMA banner!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

The same thing just happened on my television also, no big deal! This happens a few times a year.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

For the first time ever, a wide green banner and that annoying beeping alarm just ran on my tv! It said it was a test from FEMA in the case of an emergency! The hair on my neck stood up! I wonder if this is their way of letting us know that we are in more danger than usual! I might be overly alarmed as I was in NYC just a short way away from the Chelsea bombing! I remember the first time we were leaving Manhattan and while stuck in traffic I saw a news banner scrolling on a building saying the terror threat level had been raised to ...! I hadn't been aware there even was a terror threat level until then! I have always thought we get more of the broadcast tests right before an attack! But, I've never, ever seen this FEMA banner!

Yes, I had Quincy on and the banner was shown. I have never seen it either..

Esteemed Contributor

This has been going on for yrs and yrs.,not to worry!

Honored Contributor

I've never seen it, but given the state of things I probably soon will

Honored Contributor

Our cable co has 'EAS' things and I HATE HATE HATE them.  (sorry for yelling)   I really do hate them that much.

Anyway, one of those ran about that same time here, so it must have been the same thing you experienced.

9 times out of 10, here, it's some stupid 'oh no, it might rain 200 miles from here' krap.

Sometimes it's a child kidnapping thing.  Sometimes it's just a 'monthly test' thing (which might not be so bad but they run about 3 times a week!).  Sometimes it's a ridiculous weather thing.  Never something severe like a tornado but stuff like rain or wind and it's usually somewhere else, to boot.

UGH!   I wish you could opt out, but you can't.    Furthermore, even if you are watching something you recorded it breaks in so you cannot avoid it unless the tv is OFF.    That sound REEEEEEEEEEEE - it's like an exaggerated version, with 100x volume, of the old type of sounds when you cranked up your dial up internet.   With tinnitis, this is beyond maddening.   /rant  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

They are on once a week where I am but not always the same day or time.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Our cable co has 'EAS' things and I HATE HATE HATE them.  (sorry for yelling)   I really do hate them that much.

Anyway, one of those ran about that same time here, so it must have been the same thing you experienced.

9 times out of 10, here, it's some stupid 'oh no, it might rain 200 miles from here' krap.

Sometimes it's a child kidnapping thing.  Sometimes it's just a 'monthly test' thing (which might not be so bad but they run about 3 times a week!).  Sometimes it's a ridiculous weather thing.  Never something severe like a tornado but stuff like rain or wind and it's usually somewhere else, to boot.

UGH!   I wish you could opt out, but you can't.    Furthermore, even if you are watching something you recorded it breaks in so you cannot avoid it unless the tv is OFF.    That sound REEEEEEEEEEEE - it's like an exaggerated version, with 100x volume, of the old type of sounds when you cranked up your dial up internet.   With tinnitis, this is beyond maddening.   /rant  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt

ours is usually just a test....Never has been an actul emergency...in fact I fell asleep last nite and at 3am that darn thing came on so loud I almost fell out of bed !!!!  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

They just interrupted the radio broadcast for a few seconds for the same reason. 

I think they should be prepared in case of emergency. So do not be scared. 

But since we live during crazy times just watch out and be aware of things around you.

Honored Contributor

Maltese Momma - the only ones we've had that I would consider an emergency have been the child abduction ones.  I can understand that.

But most of ours are either the three-times-a-week 'Monthly Test' or the ones that warn about some benign weather event.