Honored Contributor

FDA warnings about hand sanitizers

The FDA has issued warnings about using hand sanitizers manufactured by Eskbiochem due to the potential presence of methanol, which can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. go.usa/xwp3c

Respected Contributor

Re: FDA warnings about hand sanitizers

Thanks to @lovesrecess  for posting about this. Here's the release from the FDA. The products are so toxic that you're not supposed to flush them or pour them down the drain.

"[6/19/2020] FDA advises consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico, due to the potential presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. FDA has identified the following products manufactured by Eskbiochem:

• All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
  • Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
  • Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
  • The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
  • CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
  • Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

"FDA tested samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ. Lavar Gel contains 81 percent (v/v) methanol and no ethyl alcohol, and CleanCare No Germ contains 28 percent (v/v) methanol. Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects.

"Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, which is critical for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning. Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death. Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidently ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning.

"On June 17, 2020, FDA contacted Eskbiochem to recommend the company remove its hand sanitizer products from the market due to the risks associated with methanol poisoning. To date, the company has not taken action to remove these potentially dangerous products from the market. Therefore, FDA recommends consumers stop using these hand sanitizers and dispose of them immediately in appropriate hazardous waste containers. Do not flush or pour these products down the drain."

[emphasis added]

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-advises-consumers-not-use-hand-sanitizer-...

Esteemed Contributor

Well, if you are ingesting hand sanitizer, you have bigger problems.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

These products should no longer be sold.

They should be pulled from the shelves.

Esteemed Contributor

Better people should use soap and water.  It's cheaper, available and more effective.  I really don't get over dependence on hand sanitizer.  I carry wipes in a baggy in the car or when I commuted but washed my hands upon arrival at my destination. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

These products should no longer be sold.

They should be pulled from the shelves.

I hope they do not end up in dollar stores or big lots etc.....

Honored Contributor

Thank you for this.

I have looked and there is o mention about what states they are sold in.So annoying!

Usually that is mentioned.

I have never heard of any of these.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this. A few weeks ago I posted about checking carefully the ingredients in hand sanitizers
This is why!
Honored Contributor

I've  never used hand sanitizer. 

At home, I'm only touching my stuff.  When I come in from outside - I wash my hands with soap and water (and a quick spray of Clorox/water mix if I was touching stuff in a store.)

I have one friend who as long as I've known her (20+ years) - is constantly using the stuff - she has more health complaints than all the rest of my friends combined.

Respected Contributor

Soap/water is my preference.