Valued Contributor

FDA Warning to Purina Pet Food Plant

January 19, 2015

The FDA issued a Warning Letter to a Purina Pet Food canning facility finding “significant deviations” from pet food regulations. Though no recalls have been issued, FDA had serious concerns about this pet food plant.

The FDA Warning Letter stated their inspection lasted for two weeks – from September 15, 2014 through October 1, 2014. Inspection revealed “that your facility has significant deviations from the LACF (low-acid can food) regulations.”

The inspection found that this Purina plant deviated from the required processing of the pet food – and further did not document the deviation (as required by law). The FDA Warning Letter stated “your firm did not provide documentation associated with the evaluation of the entire lot of product affected by the process deviation and did not provide documentation and/or the specifics of your corrective action plan in order to ensure that your firm will prevent these occurrences in the future.”

FDA also found temperature drop concerns with the pet food manufactured at this plant. Law requires canned pet food to be heated to specific temperatures and any variations of these required temperatures are required to be noted in a log. This Purina plant did not document the drop in temperatures.

More Info and brands affected: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-warning-to-purina-pet-food-plant/

Valued Contributor

Re: FDA Warning to Purina Pet Food Plant

Affected brands:

Alpo Prime Cuts with Beef
Alpo Chop House Originals Filet Mignon
Alpo Chop House Originals roasted Chicken
Friskies Mariner’s Catch
Friskies Mixed Grill
Friskies Gravy Sensations with Turkey and Giblets
Friskies Supreme Supper
Friskies Indoor Chicken
Friskies Salmon Dinner
Mighty Dog Chicken Egg & Bacon Country Platter
Mighty Dog Chop House Originals Filet Mignon
Mighty Dog Lamb and Rice
ProPlan Senior Beef and Rice Entree

Respected Contributor

And some of our federal leaders say we have too much regulation of corporations. This is exactly WHY we have regulations. Those are major lines of pet food, probably sold in every state in the country. Thanks for sharing this.

Valued Contributor

A friend just told me that if it has a bar code over 600(first 3 numbers) that it is from China....I had some of the doggie bones and dumped them.

Valued Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Teacups said:

A friend just told me that if it has a bar code over 600(first 3 numbers) that it is from China....I had some of the doggie bones and dumped them.

You may find this from snopes of interest.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Oh gee whiz...it says mixed..so who knows