Honored Contributor

FDA Updates on Hand Sanitizers with Methanol more brands added to list!!!!

This is a new update list... more brands added.  Even some sold at Costco. Make sure your hand sanitizer is not on the list... and  read your labels!!!!..

the awful part of this is that some brands list ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) on the labels but really used Methanol, or wood alcohol,( a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested.)

They did this to save money and deceive the consumer.... and actually endangering lives

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-methanol

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA Updates on Hand Sanitizers with Methanol more brands added to list!!!!

Interesting. That's quite a lot and unless I misread the list, it appears all of them hail from Mexico. All my bottles but one are older so I checked the new one only and it appears not to be on the list. I'm glad I also found a couple of almost full older containers, since it appears we'll be needing this stuff for the duration. I used to carry it during flu season, but I guess now it's a permanent fixture.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the update.  Fortunately my stock is o.k.  There's a Hello Kitty  one on the list. Bet many parents bought that one for kids.  Scarry.

Honored Contributor

Can you imagine successfully evading Covid only to die of hand sanitizer alcohol poisoning? Bizarroworld.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't gotten involved with all the Hand Sanitizer fears; but Shawn K. presented a set of 4  (no name on bottles) for $24 range.  She continued to apply - stating kills 99.99% of germs - alcohol free - unscented and.............NOT STICKY.

HA HA joke on me.  Just delivered by USPS and clear liquid IS EXTREMELY STICKY.  Hand stuck to computer mouse!

Had to wash hands w/soap and water.

(Believe only half of what you hear)

Almost $7 to return - so another product goes down the drain.

Thanks Shawn

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I haven't gotten involved with all the Hand Sanitizer fears; but Shawn K. presented a set of 4  (no name on bottles) for $24 range.  She continued to apply - stating kills 99.99% of germs - alcohol free - unscented and.............NOT STICKY.

HA HA joke on me.  Just delivered by USPS and clear liquid IS EXTREMELY STICKY.  Hand stuck to computer mouse!

Thanks Shawn

@fthunt wrote:

Thanks Shawn

@fthunt    I bought these from shopHQ.  Not sticky at all.. nice lavender scent but not over powering. You might try.

Honored Contributor

My sister bought some from Sam's that was included in the recall. She said the ingredients listed on the bottle were correct so they must be lying. I told her it did not matter what the ingredients listed were that they put methanol in it instead. She returned it. She has not used it yet.

Wonder how many people are getting sick from this?

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen lots of off brand hand sanitizer at Target, grocery store etc.  If it isn't a name brand I don't buy it. I haven't  had a problem finding Purcell, and Germ-x

Honored Contributor

Buy made in USA.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Buy made in USA.

Since the makers are lying about the actual ingredients, why wouldn't they lie about where it's made?

Solution: Don't buy or use hand sanitizers. They're bad for the skin. Wash your hands and/or wear gloves.