Honored Contributor

FDA Recalls Childrens Robitussin and Dimetapp Cough Syrup

Three lots of two children's cough syrups have been recalled due to overdose fears, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced Thursday. 

Two lots of Children's Robitussin Honey Cough and Chest Congestion DM and one lot of Children's Dimetapp Cold and Cough were shipped with dosing cups that are missing marks for 10mL measurements.  

High doses of Robitussin can cause hallucinations and euphoria and the drug is. sometimes abused for its 'high.' It can also depress breathing with potentially life-threatening consequences

GSK and the FDA warned that 'there is a potential risk of accidental overdose if caregivers dispensing the syrup do not notice' that the 20mL marks on the dosing cups don't match up with the correct dosing instructions. 

In its voluntary recall, GSK advises parents and caregivers to beware of bottles of Children's Robitussin Honey Cough and Chest Congestion DM (4oz) from lot: 02177 (Exp. Jan. 2022) or lot 02178 (Exp. Jan. 2022). 

Children's Dimetapp Cold and Cough (8oz) from lot: CL8292 (Exp. Sep. 2021) are also missing correct demarcation on their dosage cups, and may pose a risk of accidental overdosing. 

GlaxoSmithKline has issued a voluntary recall of two lots its Children's Robitussin Honey Cough and Chest Congestion DM and one lot of Children's Dimetapp Cold and Cough (pictured) that were shipped with dosing cups that are missing marks for 10mL doses, fearing the flaw could lead caregivers to pour kids accidental overdoses

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: FDA Recalls Childrens Robitussin and Dimetapp Cough Syrup

I swore by Dimetapp for all of my children when they were little!  It was the only OTC cold medicine that worked!

I am able to read the label and directions.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom Thank you.  Checked my honey cough and I am good.  This medicine really helped me when I had what was possibly the virus in late March.  Very thankful for the poster who put something up from a nurse of what to have on hand just in case this Spring.  I never buy this stuff and for some reason listened this time.  I can't remember who the OP was but thank you, thank you.  Thumbs up for the Robitussin Honey if you are a little adult and rely on kid's dosing.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

Glad you didn't have Covid!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom I have no idea if I did or not.  Wouldn't surprise me if that was it.  Never had anything like that in my life.  It was early days of no testing anywhere to be found.  Guess I will never really know but that medicine really helped.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

I'm just glad that one of the meds worked GF! We need you around here!Heart

Honored Contributor

Aw how sweet!  You made my day @KingstonsMom .  I am glad all of us seem to be getting through to the other side.  I'd miss a whole bunch of us, god forbid.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 @I had something weird around that time also.I hated the taste of coffee and it made me nauseous.I couldn't eat and really couldn't even drink much water.I had terrible shaking,headaches and my nose ran continuously.I just slept as much as I could.I was really weak after and lost eight pounds.

Honored Contributor

@dex   I am so glad you got through that.  I think a lot of us have been exposed and never got the opportunity to know it.