Esteemed Contributor

Re: FDA BANS SALE OF CERTAIN (Most) ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS AND BODY WASHES!

@JustJazzmom, many of those products STILL have anti bacterial properties. They're still around.
*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

My son has not used antibacterial soap for years and asked me to stop as well.  It was regarding the now banned ingredients and the resistance to germs thing.  While shopping or traveling I do use a hand sanitizer when washing hands isn't possible.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I just heard this on NPR and one of the ingredients they are banning is Triclosan and companie s have 1 year to remove the ingredient. I hope this means that Isomers will remove this from their anti-perspirant so I can go back to that!

Do any other Isomers products contain any of these ingredients?ni remember when she removed Parabens. She seemed to feel like it was a big imposition! Now, most companies are following suit!

@Imadickens I have no idea since I don't really use her products except this one and she added the Triclosan a few years back for some reason. It didn't have the ingredient before. I hope she removes it so I can go back to it since it is one of the few cruelty free anti-perspirant that actually works well!

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It only makes sense.

The more antibacterial stuff that we use, the more resistant the bacteria becomes, and the stronger the antibiotics we have to take to fight an infection.

Just use plain soap and water, wash thoroughly, and you'll be fine.

Yep, plain soap and warm water and washing for several seconds is just as good (better, actually) than using anti-bacterial products like Triclosan according to many many doctors. I have never used anti-bacterial products-I have many scientists/doctor/nurses in my family and all have always said they were no nos for everyday use for the average person.

Honored Contributor

I never liked antibacterial soaps, and avoid them unless there is NOTHING else available. Have always worried about pouring on the antibiotics and then being resistant when I needed one.

Ironic isn't it? We wash our hands in antibacterial soap, and then worry about probiotics.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Antibacterial soaps were never meant to replace hand washing with soap and water.  They were meant to be used in the absence of facilities but like anything else, the product was overused.  The friction during proper hand washing does a better job removing bacteria than antibacterial soaps do.  And overuse of these soaps causes dryness which leads to cracks and open cuts, a place for bacteria to enter.  I have friends that bathe in the stuff.  I use antibacterial soap when I travel and only when I can't find a BR. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why it took so long.  The hormonal system is affected and that is never good news. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

My son has not used antibacterial soap for years and asked me to stop as well.  It was regarding the now banned ingredients and the resistance to germs thing.  While shopping or traveling I do use a hand sanitizer when washing hands isn't possible.

@AKgirl2  No doubt that's why these products are exempted from the ban.

Frequent Contributor

@Pearlee Thanks for great post.  I started the "If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash" thread because of my severe allergic reaction to another chemical commonly found in skin care, cosmetics, cleaning products and many other products.  It took a long time to find what was causing it.

Respected Contributor

Happydaze: I sure hope so too! I  think companies should listen to the consumers before we find other product lines that better meet our wants and needs!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.