Honored Contributor

FDA BANS SALE OF CERTAIN (Most) ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS AND BODY WASHES!

I strongly recommend reading the entire article below, from which this was taken:

"The FDA issued a new rule on Friday, announcing that certain over-the-counter consumer antiseptic products containing one or more of 19 specific active ingredients have now been banned."

http://www.people.com/article/antibacterial-soap-ban-food-drug-adminstration

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA BANS SALE OF CERTAIN (Most) ANTIBACTERIAL SOAPS AND BODY WASHES!

I just heard this on NPR and one of the ingredients they are banning is Triclosan and companie s have 1 year to remove the ingredient. I hope this means that Isomers will remove this from their anti-perspirant so I can go back to that!

Respected Contributor

I've been hearing for years that these products were not recommended to be used...especially by children! I never knew why! Thanks for the info!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I just heard this on NPR and one of the ingredients they are banning is Triclosan and companie s have 1 year to remove the ingredient. I hope this means that Isomers will remove this from their anti-perspirant so I can go back to that!

Do any other Isomers products contain any of these ingredients?ni remember when she removed Parabens. She seemed to feel like it was a big imposition! Now, most companies are following suit!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Interesting. I don't generally buy those, but I did recently to wash my hands before touching a new piercing. The only reason was because supposedly pump bottle cleansers are more sanitary than bar soaps and it's hard to find a pump hand cleanser that doesn't claim to be antibacterial. I have always just used natural bar soaps both in my kitchen and bathroom for hand washing. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Over 20 years ago, when BBW was all about the "anti-bac" train, DH would not let me buy any of the soaps. He said at the time there was more research needed, and if I used it constantly, my body might become more resistant to dangerous germs. So I wouldn't buy it.

I had a terrible time finding soap that wasn't. There was nothing at BBW, and Softsoap and other brands had one formula that wasn't antibacterial. Wet Ones had one formula - for sensitive skin - that wasn't antibacterial and was hard to find.

A few years ago BBW started carrying "regular" soaps again. I was glad to see it. I had even called their customer service way back when and asked if there was one product that wasn't antibacterial. There wasn't at the timeSmiley Frustrated

I wonder if they knew what was coming when they started carrying non-antibacterial soaps a few years ago?

Esteemed Contributor

It only makes sense.

The more antibacterial stuff that we use, the more resistant the bacteria becomes, and the stronger the antibiotics we have to take to fight an infection.

Just use plain soap and water, wash thoroughly, and you'll be fine.

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember when dishwashing soap had antibacterial properties? I asked my Grandmother why are you using this? If you wash your dishes with any dishwashing liquid, you are removing bacteria and don't need this product. Turns out I was right to never go out and buy this! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Just tell me what soap to buy...I don't have time to read every label for some soap. Recently I have tried to look up ingredients on skincare because I see slot of comments on the beauty board and so I tried to do some research on the products I am currently using...what I noticed is some ingredients have scientific names very similar. It was exhausting, spent a whole day on it so I gave up.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I strongly recommend reading the entire article below, from which this was taken:

"The FDA issued a new rule on Friday, announcing that certain over-the-counter consumer antiseptic products containing one or more of 19 specific active ingredients have now been banned."

http://www.people.com/article/antibacterial-soap-ban-food-drug-adminstration

Wonder if this will eventually include dishwashing liquids and Purell?

*Call Tyrone*