Honored Contributor

Re: FCC approves plan to cut down on robocalls

[ Edited ]

@chickenbuttwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@dexwrote:

If people wouldn’t answer them they would stop over time on their own.

@dex

Thats not true I dont answer any of them I still get TONS of calls on my both my landline and cell....since they spoof numbers they now even get around call blockers too....even NoMoreRobo...

But it's not about those of us who don't answer.   Those who DO answer them cause them to be more successful and lucrative so they continue to harvest numbers and do what they do.   Therefore, we ALL get the calls.

If NOBODY answered them, then we'd all be better off because they would not be lucrative and then none of us would be getting them.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt

I read an article they dont harvest numbers like they used to,  the scammers use a dialer that just dials the next consecutive number in sequence, its strictly automated ----saves them time, personnel, and creates more frustration for us !!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't believe anything will stop them.  I'm registered on the Do Not Call list and have call blocker on my phone.  I never answer a number that I don't recognize at home.  I do on my cell phone sometimes because I'm never sure who it is otherwise.  Sometimes I'm expecting a call so I have to answer.  I just hang up on them if they start a spiel and then block the number.  I don't engage them in any conversation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@dexwrote:

We don't answer them, and they do not stop.

Honored Contributor

I thought the Do Not Call Registry only blocked legitimate telemarketers but not scam calls???

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny Too many still answer though and that is why they continue.The calls are random but when enough people quit answering there will be no point.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

@Spurtwrote:

@chickenbuttwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@dexwrote:

@dex

Thats not true I dont answer any of them I still get TONS of calls on my both my landline and cell....since they spoof numbers they now even get around call blockers too....even NoMoreRobo...

But it's not about those of us who don't answer.   Those who DO answer them cause them to be more successful and lucrative so they continue to harvest numbers and do what they do.   Therefore, we ALL get the calls.

If NOBODY answered them, then we'd all be better off because they would not be lucrative and then none of us would be getting them.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt

I read an article they dont harvest numbers like they used to,  the scammers use a dialer that just dials the next consecutive number in sequence, its strictly automated ----saves them time, personnel, and creates more frustration for us !!!

Exactly ..so everybody stop answering and maybe we can all get some silence.

Respected Contributor

Here is what I have found that has worked for us. If I am near the phone when I see it's a scam call I pick it up on the first ring and then click to disconnect. I use to let it go to our answering machine and they never left a message and would always call back. Now I know this sounds too simple, but it's working so far for us. I hope they do curtail these calls once and for all, but I won't hold my breath.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbuttwrote:

@Spurtwrote:

@dexwrote:

@dex

I agree that as long as people answer, the calls will continue. We've seen a good number of people on this forum tell stories about playing games with the callers to "teach them a lesson".   

I only have a cell phone so when an unidentied number pops up and there is no message, I block it. It's taken some effort, but the calls are slowing down considerably.

Honored Contributor

They could do that now.  They will mot do ot.  The phone companies have the power to limit calls as well, but they dont necause this is a multi million dollar income for phone company and isp

Respected Contributor

I never answer, always block.

Yesterday. I got 3 Scam Likely calls.