Honored Contributor

Re: FBI Has Just Announced Threats Against Synagogues in New Jersey

@manny2 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

For anyone sincerely interested, in addition to the Jerusalem Post and Hillel International sources that I cited, there is a long, depressing trail of information about campus antisemitism, which has flourished in recent years.  

For a start, a few articles can be searched that may be enlightening:

"Schooled in Hate:  Antisemitism On Campus"   Anti-Defamation League

"New Survey Sheds Light on Antisemitsm on College Campuses in America"     PBS   12/16/21

The Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies at Brandeis University  is another good source for a report issued in 2015.

Antisemitism is a hideous blight that has erupted throughout history, from every quarter.   It can't be siloed into one group, or one era.  In my humble opinion, the farther away we get from seeing others as created, unique individuals, like ourselves, and not as faceless members of a group, the more opportunity for bigotry of all kinds.    

@Oznell I agree with you.  Antisemitism has gotten really bad in recent years on many major college campuses.

I agree too @haddon9 @Oznell  hate does not have a face.  There is hate among the educated, and there is hate among those that never set foot on a college campus. It rears its ugly head across all socioeconomic groups.

Even if you never saw it. It is there, sometimes in the shadows. It has to stop. 

@manny2 

Our halls of Academia are filled with professors from a land where hate for Jews is a way of life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Threats are credible but general and non-specific. That's all that was said so far. Hope all remains calm.

@PickyPicky3 

Wonder if this means the FBI is easing up surveillance of the parents at school board meetings! That was deemed credible a couple months ago. I watched a "hearing" where an FBI 7th Floor Exec. confirmed their surveillance of these meetings.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn   What source said "FBI seventh floor executive?"

That is such interesting terminology. 

@Mersha 

Not following your "interesting terminology" statement. I have listened to many FBI Agents, and Former Agents, at Hearings over the years.

All the ones with the Titles are on the 7th Floor of the J. Edgar Hoover Building in D.C. Watched quite a few Congressional Hearings on CSPAN.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty So sorry for what you and your family have gone through with your brother.  I'm going it through it now with my daughter.  It's a lifelong struggle for them and us.

Esteemed Contributor

I am late to this discussion,  but I wonder if there are people just as concerned with rhetoric from some politicians as from college professors.  Air time to millions is sometimes filled with tropes against Jews.  I cannot believe a few networks are noted for this.  So a representative from the Jewish community comes on networks to condemn these tropes.  It is tragic that these public slurs continue.  Makes me sick.

My cousin converted to the Jewish faith years ago.  She had   married a Jewish man, and their child was brought up in the faith.  There have been a number of happy inter-faith marriages in my family, as well as my husband’s family.

My children were not brought up to hate.  They had friends from many backgrounds, including Hindu.  I can guarantee you that children brought up with love and acceptance would be poor targets for anyone spouting hate on a college campus.  Never saw any of it, all of us.

My husband and I were brought up not to hate anyone.  As Christian people, why would anyone hate Jewish people?  

Jesus was an observant Jew.  

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@BlueFinch 

Where does "YE" fit into this FBI surveillance? You say he's lost billions, how many illogical/impulsive individuals have billions to lose? Thinking he must have been making his billions legally, or?

I heard "YE" made an anti-semitic statement, or writing something, what was it?

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn Ye has nothing to do with the FBI surveillance, except he has made, and continues to make, antisemitic statements and is stirring the pot. I was responding to a poster who said she had a hard time understanding Ye's behaviors. I don't, and explained why. 

Bipolar people can be very intelligent, creative and successful, if they have medical management, but denial interferes with compliance. It's no surprise Ye rose to success with a large fan base early on, when able to perform. 

He's now at the point that he can do no wrong. His fans will stand by him. I heard on the news tonight that fans are feeling so bad for him that they want to set up a GoFundMe page for donations, instead of suggesting he go for help. That's how insane this has become. 

For a good while now, Ye has been decompensating, becoming more disorganized, grandiose, illogical and impulsive. Likely not taking meds. 

He has already lost a billion dollars and stands to lose an additional billion (plus) that he could have made in his career, but his behavior has led to his music not being played, his athletic wear and shoes aren't being carried in stores, and more. He has sabotaged his career. Why would anyone of sound mind do this?

Basically almost all his business ventures have been shut down. His interpretation of what's going on is that he's the victim. It will be interesting to see if he has the ability to manipulate his way out of this. If he can't, I don't see a good outcome for him.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Like Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, I "stand up to Jewish hate"

In fact, I stand up to hate of any kind.  It makes no difference who utters the condemning remarks; hate speech is hate speech.  It stirs up base instincts and causes only destruction.  No good comes of it.

Why do folks forget that if hatred for certain groups is allowed to flourish, it won't be long before everyone is thrown into the barrel of hate?  That is how it goes.  No matter how protected and part of the "in group" you might believe you are at this moment, your turn might -- and probably will -- come.

Tread carefully.

Yep - just like View Host Sunny Hostin referring to white conservative women as "cockroaches"  - wow sounds like Rwanda all over again.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently watched a new series that I would recommend.

It is “The U.S. and the Holocaust,” a three-part documentary on PBS by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick, and Sarah Botstein.  An excellent series and very enlightening.  

I do believe this is available on DVD for purchase.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Oznell, colleges and universities are hardly the hotbed of antisemitism.

Did you get a glance at the goons in Charlottesville?  A few of their leaders might have had some college under their belt, but typically those who buy into prejudice are not that well educated.

Education typically broadens the mind, therefore allowing one to understand and accept others who are different from you.  

And let's throw education aside.  All one needs is an "understanding heart."

@golding76 

I am so sorry but they are.  Some of the major universities in California, NJ, NY and Boston want Jews banned from the campus.  These are students and professors, the reason the new ruling from SCOTUS on stopping discrimination on college campuses.  Maybe you did not know it but that is where it is coming from:  college professors and it trickles down to the students who get their way.

@Nonametoday News source for this please.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee  What a memory about post-911 life. Things are very different today, and I also would not send my children to the pre-school under these threats. I wonder how many Jewish pre-schools are closed today.

Respected Contributor

Just reading some of these posts and the direct and indirect attempts at diversion off the topic or outright denial or justification simply remind me of what was happepning in 1930's Germany.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown