Honored Contributor

To clarify - I know all about blocking someone - don't need to bother with that, and no point, IF you unfriend someone (which I don't care to do in this circumstance) there's no general need to block them unless you have mutual friends who share a lot of info or you think they're up to no good. 

I'm not talking about turning off notifications on a post - I know how to do that too. And yes, I've checked the settings multiple times.

As far as "why don't I just ignore it, can't be that big of a deal" - I'll assume that should then go for all those who suggested it, with regard to the QVC forums. Anything you see on these forums that annoys you, you just ignore it and pass on by here, right? Why can't you just ignore it? No big deal, right? You just shouldn't be annoyed. 👹 Uh-huh. Gimme a break.

I do think it's likely what a poster said previously - the notifications will drop off after another day or two. I'd forgotten that I was puzzled previously about the same thing, and in that instance they did stop after a few days. Likely a server/cache issue (though I have cleared cache multiple times the last few days due to the QVC site chronic malfunctions making it necessary.

Thank you to those who made sincere suggestions, I appreciate it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

A public, FB, thank you is similar to a public apology. It carries more weight. Manners make a thank you in person and at the time  mandatory whereas a public one is optional and more meaningfull.

Frequent Contributor

Facebook keeps changing so just when I thought I understood the settings I find out I don't really understand them lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Moonchilde - it's probably one of their never ending glitches in your neck of the woods.  I have mine set the way you described for some people and it works for me.

@candyagain - they don't know you've unfriended them unless they happen to notice that their friend count went down.  They aren't notified.

I was just about to post the same thing.  Turning off notifications works for me.  I've never had a problem with that.  I've done it for pages, for some friends, and also for specific posts.

And yes, FB doesn't let people know that you've unfriended or unfollowed them.  You simply disappear from their "Friends" list, so they may or may not notice.  But FB absolutely does not call it to their attention in any way.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: FB Annoyance

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

I totally agree with @candyagain. I have the attitude if I don't enjoy a "friend's" posts (not just one, but all) I unfriend that person. Those whom I've unfriended are no more than acquaintances anyway. My true friends in life are those I visit in my travels, call to say Aloha, etc. It's only Facebook. It's become such a popularity contest over the years & I don't understand how people can have hundreds, even thousands of "friends". I have no problem unfriending someone with whom I have no true rapport & I'm totally fine with someone wanting to unfriend me. I just don't care...it's only Facebook, not real life.

FB is not a popularity contest for me.  I never accept friend requests from anyone unless I actually know them, knew them from the past, or have a tight connection in another way.  I have family and friends all over the world, and my FB Friends are my true friends.  Of course I see them and communicate with them in other ways too.

It makes no sense to me to have people I don't know or barely know on my friends list.  I want to keep up with people I'm interested in and people whose lives I care about.  No one on my friend's list is merely "an acquaintance".   

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I totally agree with @candyagain. I have the attitude if I don't enjoy a "friend's" posts (not just one, but all) I unfriend that person. Those whom I've unfriended are no more than acquaintances anyway. My true friends in life are those I visit in my travels, call to say Aloha, etc. It's only Facebook. It's become such a popularity contest over the years & I don't understand how people can have hundreds, even thousands of "friends". I have no problem unfriending someone with whom I have no true rapport & I'm totally fine with someone wanting to unfriend me. I just don't care...it's only Facebook, not real life.

FB is not a popularity contest for me.  I never accept friend requests from anyone unless I actually know them, knew them from the past, or have a tight connection in another way.  I have family and friends all over the world, and my FB Friends are my true friends.  Of course I see them and communicate with them in other ways too.

It makes no sense to me to have people I don't know or barely know on my friends list.  I want to keep up with people I'm interested in and people whose lives I care about.  No one on my friend's list is merely "an acquaintance".   

That's how it is for me, too. I went through the game-playing "friends" long ago & eventually dumped them all. My FB friends are family, friends in RL and longtime (10+ years) online friends met outside of FB. 

AFAIK, the only way someone would know if you Unfriended them is if you were "Mutual" Friends, i.e. you Friended them and they Friended you. In that case, it would no longer say "mutual" friend, it would just say Friend, because they Friended you - but you've no longer Friended them back.  

The Friends who show up in your list of Friends are ones you have friended. They could Unfriend you and still be on your list of Friends, because you friended them. Unless you block them, the only way they can know for sure is to go to their page and if you aren't listed, they de-Friended you.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

You must have an extraordinary amount of family and friends.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

You must have an extraordinary amount of family and friends.Woman Happy

No, not really an extraordinary amount.  My family in particular is just very scattered geographically.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I don't intend this to be an "I hate FB", "I'm too busy for FB", "I'm superior to FB", "why would anyone ever do FB" thread, but I do have a peeve I don't "get."

If there is someone whose posts I don't want to see but I don't want to Unfriend them, I can stop Following them and their posts will no longer appear in my Feed.  BUT - even when I also turn off Notifications, the notifications for their posts still appear in my Notifications.

I have Unfollowed them, and Notifications for their posts are turned off/UNchecked, but FB still puts the notifications for that person on my FB page. And of course, the reason I did all that in the first place is because I don't want to know what they're doing.  Now I don't see what they posted, but I still get a "she posted" message. Um...FB? I don't care!  Aargh....

I got really tired of facebook so I deactivated mine a few years ago.  It just go to be annoying.  Some people are on it all day, posting pictures of what they eat etc.  It was too much.LOL