Valued Contributor

FAMILY REUNION.......AND I HAD TO COME HOME AND COOK!!!

My husband's family reunion was today at the farm where many of them were born.  Very nice setting, quiet and peaceful.  The host said in the invitation that she would provide hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and all paper products and soft drinks.  People were to bring casseroles or a dessert and they would collect $20.00 per couple to offset  some expensives.  That's fine.  Reunion started at 2:00 and because his brother wasn't going to be there til 4:00, we got there at 3.   There were no hot dogs, hamburgers, napkins, paper towels and almost no side dishes.  There were 2 pieces of chicken that were slightly younger than the average age of the people there..which was around 80.  Now people were still coming in after us, so they really had nothing to eat.  My husband's chicken was inedible and mine was only slightly better, but we did find a piece of paper towel that I tore in half.  Nobody made an effort to go to the store and get more food.  I'm Italian and I know we go overboard with the food, but to invite people to a reunion, charge them and run out of food an hour in, I would have been mortified.  Plus, I had to skip another party--my side--which I had to send a gift anyway.  So now I'm cooking and blowing off steam.

Trusted Contributor

Re: FAMILY REUNION.......AND I HAD TO COME HOME AND COOK!!!

i don't blame you.  i would have left too.

Honored Contributor

Wow, poor planning by the host!

Respected Contributor

I thought we had been to a bad one but yours beats ours. I also am Italian and there always was more than enough.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bootsanne, I hear you! 

We had a family reunion among the numerous elder cousins and their kids two years ago. One of the cousins said she would bring the food, but the hosts (my brother and his wife) like to give parties and provided lots of food anyway.  I brought mass quantities of my mother's pasta sauce, which was devoured by my siblings.

Attendance was about 100, for unlike me, most of the cousins have large families.

The cousin who said she would bring lots of food brought . . . one prepared supermarket deli item, about a dozen lonely shrimps.   And she is very well off!  We all had a wonderful party, even the shrimp bearer (whose son redeemed the family honor: though not requested to bring anything, he came with six pizzas anyway).

Thank goodness my sister in law is so foresighted. 

Honored Contributor

That surprises me. Most reunions are overflowing with food. I guess it all has to do with the planning. Our dues are $5 single or $10 family, although we all bring our own plates, napkins and forks. (pop and beer is provided).

Esteemed Contributor

you can't fix stupid.......

Honored Contributor

Wow!  I really don't get how people can be so bad at planning a party or ordering enough food, it's not that hard.  I would much rather cook/order more than I anticipated needing just to make sure we wouldn't run out.  Leftovers would get sent home wiith someone or we'd eat them another day.  The number one job of a host is to make sure their guests are comfortable and fed.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I wonder what happened.  Why no hot dogs and hamburgers?  I guess it's the last time they'll host!

Frequent Contributor

it happened to us too...at a childs first birthday party!!