Respected Contributor

Re: ** F E E L I N G S * * K I N D N E S S **

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn   Thank you for your lovely post. You are right about the shortage of teachers. Just two weeks before Covid hit our country, I retired from working for 32 years in our city's school department. I was an administrative assistant in the main office of a high school and for the last 25 years at a middle school.

The teachers in our city, north of Boston are very well paid and

the mayor just gave them a substantial raise this year. Here, the shortage of teachers, I don't think is about the money.

Starting 15 years ago, we had a shortage of math and science teachers. Now there are many young people hired who do not have a teaching degree and they get a waiver. Classrooms have gotten larger with fewer teachers.

I have seen the changes in student attitudes over those 32 years. A lot of them are disrespectful to teachers and even to

the principal. Of course there are many nice kids.

A lot of kids come from homes where there is alcohol, drug abuse and even physical abuse. We had kids raised in group homes or foster homes. Some kids have had sad lives and act out at school. The middle school age kids seem to be the ones

with the most problems. We had quite a few being raised by grandmothers.

Then we had parents who blamed the school for all the kid's

problems. I think that students in recent years, saw how difficult a teacher's job could be, dealing with unruly students

and unreasonable parents. That could have been a factor that would discourage someone to go into teaching.Not as attractive a job as it might have been years ago. I know in a lot of other states, teachers are not paid as well as here.

In the 60's, many of my contemporaries went into teaching.

There were'nt as many job opportunities for women as there are now. Many headed to college now, are going for degrees in business, marketing, computers and engineering and sciences.

I don't think that teaching has the appeal that it did in the past. Especially with problem children and disrespectfulness,

lack of manners and student bullying. The schools holds assemblies on respect and bullying, but it does not seem to matter.

More parents are opting for the online schools , we have three of them here. Some are home schooling, which is not surprising. Safety in schools has become such an issue.

Being a child of the 60's, we were so hopeful and optimistic.

We wanted peace and love. We were so idealistic and thought

that things would only be better in the future. Look where we are today. It is sad to see how life has changed, the country has

changed, people have changed. There are many angry, rude people.

No one listened back in the 70's when there was an attempt at

awareness of pollution, climate change and protecting our resources and the environment. There are still people not taking those things seriously.

Builders in our city with their millions, which apparently is not enough for them, will not stop taking the forest areas, encroaching on the habitat of animals and driving them into our neighborhoods, with their greed.

In the next town, five hundred trees were illegally cut down at

a country club to expand a golf course. I think of all those poor animals who lost their homes and means of survival. It is sort of what the settlers here did to the indigenous people. The residents of that town were irate to find out about those trees. I

think that the country club was fined and had to plant some trees.

All those animals were driven to find sustinance elsewhere. How cruel. Only in the past ten years, since the mcmansions

have taken over our surrounding woodlands, have we had turkeys, foxes, deer, coyotes and even some type of mountain

lion cats showing up around here. I'm sure it is probably happening elsewhere also.

My friends and I lament, quoting Cher, "If I could turn back time" or John Lennon, "Imagine".

I'll get off my soap box now.

Esteemed Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

**  F E E L I N G S * * K I N D N E S S **

I know, I know, there's already numerous threads on missing Carolyn & Dan. That's so obvious to most anyone.

@MakeUpMaidn 

Sorry, it is not so obvious to me. I have no idea of the number of threads because I didn't notice. Why? Because I do not know who either of these people are, and what happened to either of them. Did I miss the newscasts about what happened to them?

hckynut 🇺🇸

But if we "feel" we've read enough of them, pls, we have the power to kindly express our own kind feelings abt it, in any perceived kind ways. 

Words are often perceived, rec'd, (or given) as weapons, even inadvertently.  And even accidentally weaponized words can "stick with a person," for a long time. 

And even be expressed in some future way that we totally didnt expect,  & harmfully so.

IMHO, each in our Society has had enough such trauma already!

Pls, Pls, honor, with kindness another person "expressing their *feelings* while also expressing our own *feelings* with kindness.

It's the *WE*   the *ME*   who have the very power to make our Society a better place. 

If not by each of us, than who?

I'll try...

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn  Carolyn and Dan were QVC show hosts who were fired/laid off several weeks ago.

Many posters were very upset and numerous threads have been or are still around about how awful it is they are no longer on QVC...lots of angst.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I agree.

Sadly, it'll never happen. Our country has become one of hate and vengeance. 

On the flip side, people need to stop reading more into a post than is there. Take it as written and let the rest go. 

Respected Contributor

ugh  (The Forum here ate my prior msg to you, so I rewrote it)

@hckynutjohn      Thanks for asking.  Woman Happy

Carolyn Gracie & Dan Hughes are two, former, long time, popular, gentle spirited QVC Hosts who were recently "laid off" from QVC.

Carolyn Gracie, had been with QVC for 19 yrs.

Dan Hughes, had been with QVC for 33 yrs.

As a reminder, the following is just one, of many, many Google search articles, (& pics) I found, referencing each Carolyn & Dan:

-->  "QVC Hosts Carolyn Gracie and Dan Hughes Exit Shopping Network After 19-Plus Years"
(ref;  eonline.  )

There's numerous Forum's threads here abt Carolyn & Dan's lay offs from QVC. 

There's a whole bunch of threads on this Forum, where by many, many ppl are expressing a whole wide range of feelings* abt this entire Carolyn & Dan   lay off  situtation.

All of this prompted me to remember to encourage & honori ppl feeling their feelings, & to express any kindness as ppl open up, & share their widely varied feelings

Hope this helps @hckynutjohn   Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I agree.

Sadly, it'll never happen. Our country has become one of hate and vengeance. 

On the flip side, people need to stop reading more into a post than is there. Take it as written and let the rest go. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi   @CalminHeart 

Thanks for responding  Woman Happy

imho,

Nobody can make me

- feel, or act "hateful" or "vengeful," but me!

No person, institution, society, news, entertainment, etc, can make me feel, or act in any particular way, without my expressed permission. 

And, I wont give them that power!

If attempts are made to manipulate, or seize that power over me, I'll remove myself

'Cause in the final analysis, it's my power alone, over my own feelings, & my own actions.

Not their's!   Woman Wink     Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn, such a nice post. If only the anger and hate could be replaced with kindness, caring, and thoughtfulness towards others. 

When I watch various news channels I am shocked at all of the false and one-sided reporting. Some shows scream and yell and these people are terribly lacking in knowledge of the topic. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN 

I hear ya!  Woman Happy

I've been searching for other channels instead of a background of news, yelling, attacking & esp dividing.  Cause I find myself,on cue, picking up their designed mood.

I'm taking my power back, determined to keep searching for calming, mildly energetic, channels, music, or YT music/videos! 

"YT Elvis" accompanied me with chores yesterday!

A TV "cooking competition" accompanied my chores day before.

(And this is a big step for me!  *w*)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

It's a lovely aspiration.  But in my experience here, there have always been those who choose to post their opinions.  And those who choose to post their dissent to those opinions  It's the nature of this forum.

@deepwaterdotter   People should be able to post their own opinions without being unkind or being thought of that way.   People should be able to respond to the posting of those opinions or giving a counter opinion without being unkind.  Overall, we seem to have lost the appreciation and respect for debate, conversation and individual thought.  Differences in thought make things interesting and can open the door for more research, more thought, more consideration of ideas, more analysis .....

Respected Contributor

@Anne2022 wrote:

When I was younger I worked with a woman named Marie. Soft spoken, always put together nicely, reliable and (I thought) fair. I was tasked with finding out opinions on a coworkers

performance, it wasn't mandatory everyone contribute. When I came to Marie she simply stated she didn't like him personally and didn't feel she could be fair in sharing her opinion on his work ethic/performance.

That always stuck with me in terms of teasing out how I feel about someone just in terms of my personal feelings or "like", which a lot is factored and things more objective.

Last time I checked Harvard has their implicit bias tests still up. Covering all sorts of things, race, age, gender. Worth a browse.

@Anne2022  The story about your coworker is interesting to me.  I don't feel like her dislike of him would /should have prevented her from giving an good objective opinion of his work, but it did prevent her from wanting to bother.