Honored Contributor

Re: Eye opener. See inside a Houston hospital.

That this looks like New York in April is the most distressing part of this.   And the doctor saying there is something new (and rather terrifying, IMO) he learns about this virus every.day.

We need to know, however.  Sticking our heads in the sand and putting our fingers in our ears isn't going to help.

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

They are doing something different because less people are dying in Texas compared to other states. 

What does this video show that is different?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

They are doing something different because less people are dying in Texas compared to other states. 

@Lali1 @I didn't post because the hospital is doing things differently even though it is. I posted because it's depicting what's going on right now inside Houston hospitals. This video shows what it's really like inside. Workers are even wearing triple PPE to protect themselves. Patients admitted are there at least ten days and beds will be out by then. People currently ill speak on camera to listeners and describe what it's like. The hospital has devised its own protocols to increase safety for staff and patients. Doctors describe how they are currently using treatments to save as many lives as possible, and they are having some success with these treatments. Staff illnessses are kept to a minimum, however, one nurse will speak from her bed about how she became ill despite wearing triple protection. She will also describe how very ill she feels. This is a good video with excellent reporting. Anyone that feels more anxiety when hearing more about the virus should refrain from watching or from reading posts about the virus. Those of us that want to know about this subject can keep reading, watching and listening. 

Honored Contributor

@Happy2BHere wrote:

@Mindy D 

Thanks for posting this. I read another article that (Houston) Texas Children's Hospital (where Dr. Jen Arnold of The Little Couple show used to work) has also opened their ICU to adult Covid-19 patients.

There's only one blessing for what Houston is going through and that's that there is no hurricane lurking off shore right now.  Can you imagine what would happen re shelters, etc.? Woman Frustrated

BTW if you haven't seen this PBS offering it is also worth watching - it follows an Italian doctor in an Italian hospital during Italy's peak and how she deals with Covid patients, her family, exhaustion, life:

"FRONTLINE goes inside a hospital battling the coronavirus crisis in northern Italy, as doctors are forced to make life and death decisions. An intimate, exclusive story that follows one besieged ER doctor, her staff and the patients suffering from COVID-19, from the darkest days to the signs of hope".

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/inside-italys-covid-war/

https://www.pbs.org/video/inside-italys-covid-war-kjangp/

@Happy2BHere @Thanks for posting. This new video from Houston shows how things have changed since the Frontline video from Italy. It's what's going on right now. I have watched both the videos you linked. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  I'm sorry but, I do not see any difference.   Looks to me that Houston is just catching up. 

The hospitals & their personnel in the worst affected states have already been there, done that & beyond.  And yes, I watched the video from beginning to end. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

What does this video show that is different?

I didn't watch the video. We already know what is going on in hospitals. People are sick because of a horrible virus. I know about intubation I've seen it happen and I've had it happen. 

Honored Contributor

Bars are opening today in my state.  Although we are "holding steady", we can see how that can go south very quickly.

I wish my governor would put a pause on the bars opening.  This a a college town and the bars will be packed in no time flat.  And there's no way in H$11 that there will be masks worn or social distancing observed.

Honored Contributor

There have been many "inside the front lines" videos posted as well as doctors' versions of what it's like on the front lines treating Covid patients.

These hospital employees can now wear triple layers of PPE because it is available.  That wasn't the case when this pandemic first hit.  All hospitals do what they can to protect their staff and other patients.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What's "different" are the things being learned every day, things that weren't known about this virus a few months ago.

Also, I think that people who don't want to read about it or hear about it should just avoid these discussions.  For some reason, though, they can't seem to help themselves.

Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

@Mindy D 

No, everyone should NOT see it. C N N has many listed.....as do other  news agencies and it is frightening to say the least...all of them are....I do not want to watch such things nor do many others I know. (All covid 19) Give it a rest... breathing vents are awful no matter what it's for....(My father had 1 after his heart surgery and I stayed with him while it was removed.....then walked with him and another nurse..) How much fear on this virus do ppl need or want to endure....... 

@cbrite @I do stand corrected for using the word "everyone." Anyone that gets more anxiety from any type of reports on the virus should back away if such information makes the person feel uncomfortable, frightened or triggers anxiety. They should also try not to read posts about the subject if the posts affect them adversely. Telling me to "Give it a rest," is discourteous and not something I expected from you as you usually are very courteous.