Honored Contributor

I have always had good luck at the eyeglass center at Costco.  

Respected Contributor

I think it is depending on the area or management.  I have 2  Costco stores in proximity of 15-20 min from me. One I use only for particular wine I like there. The other has everything else nice,area, workers, clientele, so I go there. 

We used them for glasses also and very happy. The eye doctor there is wonderful, educated in one of the best optometry schools in the country. And people who work at the frames department are very helpful and attentive.  In fact I just got a brand new glasses in navy/ sleeping beauty turquoise color!

Respected Contributor

IMG_6029.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye glasses from Costco

[ Edited ]

My entire family goes to Costco for our glasses and contacts; never had an issue. The eye doctor I used to go to stopped taking insurance. Bye bye. The other eye doctor we then started to see stopped taking insurance. Bye bye to him too. Costco takes our insurance with no issue. So does Walmart. Both have been great.

Let me add that I'm talking about the need for glasses and contacts. For some reason, the doctors in our area won't take it for THESE items but will for eye exams/eye issues. I'm guessing it's due to them not making enough profit on frames (HUGE mark-up) and contacts (1-800-Contacts is THE place to get them). I found Costco after having my eye exam at my doc and then finding out that I was going to have to pay around $650 for my frames and lenses because he doesn't accept insurance for those.

Costco charged me $180. SAME Fendi frames, SAME lenses. AND...it included another eye exam plus a contact lens exam. Rx's matched.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why you would let someone else pick up your eyeglasses.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't understand why you would let someone else pick up your eyeglasses.

@CelticCrafter

As I said previously, I wasn't feeling well and my husband was going to Costco. He thought he was doing me a favor.

I also said it was a mistake on my part not to go.

Trusted Contributor

I order my glasses online at Zenni Optical.  I like that I can filter my preferred choices of frames type by shape, size and upload my pic to "see" what they look like on me.  They are much cheaper then any walk in store.

Tip... I always ask my optometrist for my PD (Pupil distance) which is required when ordering glasses, but might be left off  the RX unless you ask for it.

Respected Contributor

My husband just bought glasses for the first time at Costco.  The prices blew the competion out of the water.  Also he went in to have them adjusted at the nose piece and the woman broke the glasses.   She went over and pulled the pair off the display and poped his lense's in and he was out the door with new glasses in 10 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I got a pair of Progressives at Costco years ago and never felt they were "right" - BUT - years ago, Progressive lenses had many more limitations than they do now, and I have always had a very complicated Rx. I have also gotten Progressives from a high-end optometrist's office that "weren't right" too. And got the "you'll get used to it" bit as well. So I don't necessarily think Costco per se is always at 100% fault for what we see/don't see with a new pair of glasses.

The techs need to guide people as far as how the Rx will work with both the frames they've chosen and their Rx. I think the biggest error  for people with Progressives is they map you out with a statistical norm, not your individual viewing, as to your fields of view.

VSP is pushing "Unity" lenses, and I'm going to try them next pair because I won't have to pay extra for them and they'll be remade if I'm not happy.

"...to demonstrate the field of vision differences between regular and UNITY lenses; the idea is that there is necessarily some distortion outside of the center of the lens with traditional lenses, but thanks to the specific digital mapping UNITY utilizes to match both the wearer’s prescription and the size/shape of the frames, that distortion is all but eliminated."

This wouldn't ever be a big deal to those with small corrections, but for Progressives it's a BIG deal.

I had a good experience with the staff at Costco when I got my glasses there; if I'd had anything but, I would have just walked away. I take my vision seriously - if they don't, who needs them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I don't wear glasses but I bought an expensive pair of sunglasses there and they insisted on fitting them.