Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I went to Costco for tri-focal eye glasses. When I put them on at the counter, I had trouble seeing -- and there was a customer standing next to me - and he said I have to get used to them. Stupidly, I left with them. It took a while and I did get used to them. A few months later, I went to an optometrist and he said my prescription was incorrect. I would NEVER buy glasses again from Costco - although many people have good results. They do seem unprofessional there.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your comments.

I do agree it would have been better if I'd gone to pick up my glasses. My husband was going there so he thought he was doing me a favor. Truthfully, unlike at my opthalmologist's office, the sales person did very little to fit my glasses.  She had me look in, while she held it, something that looked like a View Master. Nothing more.

When my glasses were located, rubber-banded around the case was the receipt which stated the make and color of the glasses.  The SA should have read it and checked to see the glasses in the case matched the description.  My husband never saw that receipt.  He had the register transaction receipt.

Live and learn.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Honored Contributor

I've been going to Costco for the last few years because I went to the optometrist in my doctor's office and they made my prescription wrong.  Similar to as posted above I was told to "get used to them."  It turned out that when they corrected them for computer distance, they didn't need to as my doctor had already corrected them for that.  So they were overcorrected.

I appealed my case to VSP (the insurance I was using at the time) and they allowed me to get lenses made at no charge).

The only problem I had at Costco is that when my glasses were made, they put them in the wrong case and they were sent to California.  They tracked them down and had them overnighted to the store and I was able to pick them up the next day.  

Stuff happens everywhere, not just at Costco.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Our experience with Costco Optical was totally different. My husband and I have been getting our glasses there for years. When we took in our new prescriptions, the optician mentioned that his seemed SO different from his previous one.  We shrugged, picked out frames, and waited for them to be ready. My husband knew that they were not right.  Costco suggested that we double check with our eye doctor.  Long story short...the eye doctor wrote down the Rx WRONG!!  We should have listened to the Costco optician. They quickly remade the right glasses.

Honored Contributor

I made the mistake of going to Costco for eyeglasses. I heard they were reasonable and good.

Oh Boy - was I mistaken. I got my eyes examined and my prescription. I picked out some frames, weren't thrilled with them but they were OK. The clerk could not find the insurance company that would pay for my glasses. I walked out of the eye Doctor's office 5 minutes before this and had no problem with the insurance.

I kept telling the clerk that if the insurance was no problem 5 minutes ago, it should be no problem now. She could care less. She said my insurance wasn't any good.

She did not care and wanted to go back to doing nothing. I made note to self and NEVER go to Costco for glasses.

Frequent Contributor

That is disheartening to have received someone else's glasses @lulu2.  It was a pain for you to have to go back and pick up your correct glasses.  I think I would have stopped at the desk on the way out, as well as fill out one of their comment forms (they normally have them located near the exit) for customer requests or comments.

I've just had a great experience with Costo Optical Department.  I worried that something could go wrong, but all went well. I always think if there is ever an issue with anything, Costco stands behind their products. The fitting went fine, ( I thought), but I did find some discomfort around the ears after wearing the glasses about a week. I ended up stopping at the Optical Dept at another local Costco where I was doing some shopping.  The optician was more than happy to help.  He spent about 10 minutes fitting me and making adjustments he wasn't satisfied until they were perfect. I guess the first person that fit me, didn't do such a great job.  They are absolutely perfect and I am a happy camper. I probably saved about $200 over similar frames I was looking at, at the optical store. 

I guess there can be sub-par sales people in any store, but I do think management likes to hear about issues in order to correct them. Hopefully you are enjoying your new glasses!

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye glasses from Costco

[ Edited ]

When I returned to pick up my glasses, there was no fitting.  Neither of the women asked me to try the glasses on.  The case was opened and I was asked if these were my glasses.

Honored Contributor

Got eyeglasses from Costco ONCE. Really disappointed! Poor service and the technicians were not well trained.

Trusted Contributor

I have a complicated prescription so I go to a particular optician.  The last time I needed glasses, I looked high and low for a frame I liked (need the nosepads, so that elimates a lot of glasses).  I finally found some frames at Costco and after insurance, they were $40.  The only thing is there is no warranty on them.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

When I returned to pick up my glasses, there was no fitting.  Neither of the women asked me to try the glasses on.  The case was opened and I was asked if these were my glasses.

That is so wrong. I hope they fit you.