Honored Contributor

Eye glasses from Costco

[ Edited ]

This past week my ophthalmologist prescribed a mild prescription for TV/movie watching.  His office sells eyeglasses but they are expensive.  They  have a habit of showing you only designer frames.  Recently I read Costco was a good place to get glasses.

I took my prescription to one that is about 10-15 minutes from us.  I told the girl I wasn't interested in anything fancy as they were not something I'd be wearing on a regular basis.  She directed me to the frames that were under $75. (there was a great selection)  I chose a navy pair, navy & white stripe arms, with no frame on the bottom.  I was measured and given a (good) price and told they'd be ready in 10 days. (8/17)

Saturday (surprisingly) I received a call my glasses were ready.  I didn't feel well so my husband said he'd pick them up as he needed to go to Costco.

You can imagine my surprise when I opened the case and saw a pair of heavy, black, designer glasses. (clearly my receipt stated the color and make of my glasses) So, I had to get myself dressed and back I went.

There were 2 ladies working, one was the one who waited on me last week. (she was busy)  I told the other girl my husband had just picked these up and they were not mine.  She looked at me as if I had a third eye, and said, "He picked them up today?"  She wanted to know how I knew they were not mine? I showed her the frames I'd chosen and said the others were designer frames and a good deal more expensive.  Then there was the problem I could not see a thing through them.

By now the other woman was free and came over and asked who'd dispensed these glasses?  I told her I did not know. (but there were just 2 people working so you didn't need to be Sherlock Holmes)  My glasses were in the cabinet. (in a navy & white stripe case) They made me feel like it was my fault my husband had been given the wrong glasses.

No gee, we're sorry for the mistake. Offer me a $10 gift card. (no doubt I'd spend more than $10 to use it)

Honored Contributor

I went in there with my prescription in my pocket all ready to select some new glasses.  The girls who worked there, 3 or 4, were so busy gossiping and giggling they didn't have time to help customers.  I looked at the frames, saw nothing I liked and walked out.  Went to a discount shop in the same parking lot and had my glasses made the same day from a nice selection of frames. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

As a Costco member, I hope you report your experiences to the Costco corporate office.  Knowing about poor service will enable the company to improve the customer experience.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 Most companies these days don't care about customer satisfaction.

When you have companies giving discounts and money to NEW customers, that tells you something about how they value their other customers.

I've always been someone who tells the powers that be about a problem.  I do it in a courteous way but I don't believe in complaining just to be doing it.

I've had a few companies make me feel like they appreciate my input but it's fewer these days than ever.  It's as if they're saying, 'you don't like it here....go somewhere else' (which I usually do).  

I used to shop a lot at Costco but I haven't been in there in a few years (only because it's easier to just go to a smaller store and I don't need a lot).

I used to get all of my glasses (as did my husband and daughter) at Costco and had no problem.  However, that was a long time ago.

Honored Contributor

I would have stopped at the membership desk on my way out and complained if the experience upset me.  You still have a pair of glasses that were a good price for you.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to say one day last week my sister and I were eating at a well known restaurant (they have several in the area with different names).  Her daughter has worked for one of the other affiliates as a bar tender for around 17 years, everyone knows her daughter. 

So it was lunch time and the place was packed...suddenly the smoke alarm sang out...then it stopped...then again...this went on for at least 20 minutes.  It was so loud and disruptive.

My sister said if that had happened where her daughter worked they'd have offered some kind of desert or discount on their food.  She said it had happened before and that's what they did.

These people didn't even apologize to the customers.  

Honored Contributor

Sorry for your disappointment but people do make mistakes sometimes.  We've been getting eyeglasses from Costco for years and have always received excellent customer service.  I'm actually kind of surprised that they would allow your husband to pick up your eyeglasses.  We always have to pick up our own glasses so we can try them on, to check the fit, make any adjustments if needed, and to make sure you can see well.  It would have been better if you would have just gone yourself, in the first place, or postponed it to another day when you were feeling better.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2  Sorry you had a bad experience at Costco.  We have been members at our local Costco and have had nothing but exceptional customer service.  Many of the people who work there have been there for many years and we know each other enough to feel like they are more than acquaintances.  We often ask questions regarding technology of the person who runs that department.  We've known him for over the last 15 years.  Employees seem to stay and like where they work.  I hope that your incident does not color the overall impression of Costco.  Unfortunately, one unpleasant encounter with customer service can create an overall impression of a store.  Our experiences have been stellar and we are pleased to be members at our local Costco.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Eye glasses from Costco

[ Edited ]

Hello, lulu,

I had a bad experience with Costco optical a few years ago.  They were pretty surly when I tried to return the glasses because, as far as I could tell, the prescription was wrong.  I am back to working with either Lenscrafters or my eye doctor's optometrist.  The one thing about glasses is that I need them to see through. Smiley Happy 

I was intimidated enough by the reaction of the eye-glass concession that I crept over to the regular Costco Customer Service. But they told me it was a concession, not provided by Costco itself, and I had to go back.  When I came back, they did finally give me a refund on glasses that didn't fit my prescription. 

Money isn't everything--I won't be back there.

Esteemed Contributor

They have comment cards as you leave.  I can assure you if you fill that out and send it in that the managers are informed of complaints.  You can even call the store and talk to that department's manager to complain.  I just had a prescription filled and they shorted me some pills.  I will call tomorrow to staighten it out, go pick up the ones I got shorted.  Total pain in the butt to go back but In no way do I expect any kind of gift card for my trouble.