Honored Contributor

Re: Extremely disappointed by ABC's coverage of Rose Parade

You can watch it on Hallmark with no commercials.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been to Rose Parade years ago.  I never like to watch it on tv.   Many of these television traditions are fading away it seems .  The young kids just aren't into it, unless you are a so cal local, then the schools and clubs get really involved.  They don't watch the parade on tv.

edited to add.  I cant believe television these days.  I have over 500 channels and there is never anyhing on, except reality shows, reruns.  When there is a holiday, it is even worse. They pre empt regular shows and run preprogrammed shows. I pay 135 dollars a month and there is less on than when I had 8  free channels and rabbit ears Jmho

Honored Contributor

They don't handle things well without teleprompter to help
Honored Contributor

I was hoping that after the sad New Years Eve coverage by the networks, the parade would be better....not so much.
Contributor

We watched the Rose Parade on KTLA with Leeza Gibbons and Mark Steines.  Thought they had really good coverage of the floats, bands and the horses.  Of course, I had been watching all week their coverage of the building of the floats.  

Valued Contributor

I sooooo agree with you @lovesrecess ...  that was the worst excuse for New Years Eve coverage I have witnessed, and I've been around awhile !!  I can remember Guy Lombardo and his band from some NYC hotel dancing and waiting for the countdown .,.  and cable TV was awful !!  Seems like everyone is half lit and think they're cute that way !!  Between lousy New Year's Eve coverage and crummy Rose Parade coverage I've really had a lousy holiday !!  

Honored Contributor

I never found the parades to be very interesting, in spite of once sitting in a warm office right above the parade route some years ago.  You can always catch it online ... they repeat it and repeat it until you want to scream.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE PARADES. If there were an Old Fat Grandma Marching Brigade I’d be warming up my trombone and looking for where to sign up.

That being the case, I have gotten more and more disappointed with parade coverage, beginning with the Broadway show “events” in he Macy’s coverage on the NY TV stations, and ending with the Rose Bowl Parade yesterday.

A PARADE should be bands, floats, horses, marching units, flags, and hoopla, NOT saggy canned lip syncing presentations of music you can hear performed better elsewhere without watching fancied dressed people bouncing around uncomfortably high mounts on floats that depict who the blazes knows what.

Add commentators who have NO IDEA what to say to fill the air with blah-blah-blah INSTEAD OF music which kids have spent months to perfect for their BIG DAY.....?

YES I DID have a fight with my husband already this morning, but even at that, the topic of non-parade parades has become a thorn in my side whether I’m in a fighting mood to start with or not.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for answering. I can't believe I didn't know about the parade being on the Hallmark channel. I usually am aware of such things, but somehow, I totally missed that. If I'm still here next year, I'll definitely remember to watch it on there. Meanwhile, I'll look at some of the segments on KTLA to see if any of the horse groups are there (thanks to Marp for that suggestion!).

Super Contributor

My favorite coverage of the parade is by RFDTV...they show every group, do NOT talk through the show except to describe the float, group or band and it's wonderful!  Check it out next year...I promise you won't be disappointed!