Honored Contributor

Save your money in the bank and when the time comes you'll have it to make repairs. Why build a bridge over dry land when you don't know if it will ever flood?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@corita  Funny you should ask!  I am taking my neighbor to the repair shop this afternoon to pick up her car.  Car Shield paid 100% of her repairs.

A lot of my neighbors w/older cars have Car Shield.  Never heard of any complaints from them.  There are different Car Shield plans that fit your financial situation.

It appears from my observation that you get your $$$ worth if your car is 10 yrs+.  My neighbors car in the shop is 12 yrs old.

----------------------

Thanks for your reply!!  My car is 13 years and only has about 62,000 miles.   Don't really want to buy a new car...rarely drive anymore.  But I do expect parts to start aging...like me!! 

Many of the reviews are negative, but I often think that someone who is unhappy with service will write a review. And people who are happy with service may not take the time!!

Trusted Contributor

I never buy extended warranties on anything. Google both Dave Ramsey and Consumer Reports to see what they have to say about them. If you decide to buy one anyway, make sure you read the policy and all of the terms, and that you understand and agree to them before signing up for anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Based on personal experience, my advice would be to NOT buy an extended auto warranty from anyone except from your car's manufacturer. My dear mother and i went through h*ll with a car warranty that she signed up for when she was in her 80s. The warranty company was nothing but a scam and the attorney general in my state was after them. I ended up going through the AG's office to get the warranty company to cancel my mother's policy. There was absolutely nothing legitimate about them and the warranties they "offered".

I purchased an extended warranty on my car from the manufacturer and have been extremely happy with it for one fairly big issue I had.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never purchased the extended warranty. I buy new but keep them for about 10 years. My Charger has been very good. My car is a 2013 (purchased in November 2012). 

The one time it broke down. It was my fault, I had it in drive and there was a bee and I accidentally turned car off and locked the gear shifts. 

Respected Contributor

Everything I have read about those warranties says they are generally NOT worth it. Instead of paying premiums for such warranties, save that money to use in case something breaks down. Self-insuring in that way keeps you in control of your own money.

Esteemed Contributor

My advice is to not buy the warranty - and to find a local body shop or dealer that is honest and knows how to fix ur particular car. I'm sure most of the expensive repairs are not covered. I never trust those companies that send out mail to endless people.

Esteemed Contributor

We've never purchased a warranty for anything. If something is a lemon, it will be returned. In the past 50 years of buying vehicles, appliances, homes, etc., we've only returned one lawn mower. It was because it was brown and I didn't want a brown lawnmower!! We didn't even put it together. I love to mow, but saw it and said, "Oh, no. I want green or red!" And back it went. A good deal isn't worth it if it's ugly brown! My husband returned with a red mower and I was happy.

We laughed about that mower for years! It was our first mower in 1969 and was from Sear's. It lasted well over 20 years of weekly mowing by me! I always washed the top and then the underside to prevent rust. My husband kept the blades sharpened and the oil changed regularly. Woman Very Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I bought an extended warranty on a car once.  Never again, certainly not on a new car.  LM

Honored Contributor

My MIL fell for that extended car warranty thing- it took an act of Congress and etc to get her out of that.  She had no idea she'd been scammed and this company has been complained about through BBB many, many times, including us.

Several years ago they kept calling here- at that time my husband had a company vehicle- so I'd ask the caller, well if you know so much what year is said vehicle and what make.. They couldn't answer.. anything to get your $$$.$$$

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee