Esteemed Contributor

Re: Explanation of James' Final Jeopardy Betting Strategy

@Trinity11 wrote:

I hope there is a lot more information about this contestant over the coming months. I would be interested to learn what his reason was for purposely losing... Stay tuned...

I agree - I think he purposely lost as well. Those answers were too easy for him not to get them. 

Respected Contributor

James would have won had he found the Double Jeopardy Daily Doubles -- this is where James usually prevailed.   Emma found all of them, and did not miss any answers.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry he didn't get to break Ken Jennings' record, he was so close.

I enjoyed every show and wish him the best.

Valued Contributor

I think James had gotten a taste of what it is like to be a public figure, and didn't want to endure being the World Champion Jeopardy Winner with all that entails.  He took it right up to the line and bowed out.

Esteemed Contributor

I find it odd that people want to make excuses and reasons for his loss last night.  He got beat by the better player in that game.  Stop saying he threw it, he lost.  Give her credit for her victory, she beat a good player.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

Something was very off tonight. I think he knew he was going to lose from the beginning. 

I thought something was off too.  He didn't seem to be himself.  Also, he didn't include his usual funny statement on his final wager screen.  

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When I read your husband's explanation, my DH said from a gamblers perspective, that was the right thing to do. I still think he wanted Ken's record to stand.

May be.  I never thought of that!  He is a classy guy, very mature also.  I liked when he spoke of his family.  He and his wife met while they were both teaching English in Thailand.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@judy0330 

Not sure how far ahead Jeopardy tapes but the World Series of Poker tournament started in Vegas on May 28th. 

I’ll bet he didn’t want to miss that.

I read today that last night's show was filmed in March.  Shows how dedicated the Jeopardy audiences are for not spilling the beans.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry to see James go.  He has a brilliant mind and I love the way he brought everyone together in watching the show.  Husbands and wives, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, etc. -- it seemed like everyone took the time to watch him every night.  I look forward to seeing him again in future championship games.  I also wish the new winner, Emma, well in her future games and hope she does well.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

When I read your husband's explanation, my DH said from a gamblers perspective, that was the right thing to do. I still think he wanted Ken's record to stand.

May be.  I never thought of that!  He is a classy guy, very mature also.  I liked when he spoke of his family.  He and his wife met while they were both teaching English in Thailand.  

@walkingal   @AuntG   Why in the world would he have wanted Ken's record to stand?  He's a gambler, and gamblers want to win.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau