Trusted Contributor

Re: Explanation of James' Final Jeopardy Betting Strategy

@judy0330 

Not sure how far ahead Jeopardy tapes but the World Series of Poker tournament started in Vegas on May 28th. 

I’ll bet he didn’t want to miss that.

Esteemed Contributor

I can’t imagine  the pressure this young man was under in all these games. Maybe just maybe he was tired and not up to par. He was very enjoyable to watch. Secretly I am glad Ken Jennings is still the one to win the most money. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure he knew the answers to most of the questions.  She was just faster with the buzzer on those questions than he was.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Tribesters  According to an article in The Atlantic online yesterday -- the episode was taped on March 12.

Trusted Contributor

If someone had only seen that one episode, he or she would have wondered what the hoopla was about this guy.  He sure didn't look or act like a superchamp last night.  Slow on the buzzer and didn't respond to what seemed like obvious answers.  Something was off.  I too felt he was finished and relinquished his crown to another contestant.  I especially felt that when he didn't get the double jeopardy questions.  Maybe he is so unselfish that he felt it was time to go.  Well, it was a great run and sure made Jeopardy quite the show for the past several weeks.  

Respected Contributor

imo I don't think he was being unselfish at all.  He knowingly always played the first round of Jeopardy from the bottom up, and last night, unfortunately for him he picked the double jeopardy answer first, thereby only being able to wager $1000.  His way of playing also forces the other contestants to play the same way, if they want to stand a chance of competing w/him in the game.  So this put the other contestants in a pickle forcing them to play this way.

I had to stop watching cause I couldn't stand it.  I'm glad he's gone.

Another poster xplained (this thread or another one) about how the contestants have to wait until Alex finishes reading the answer and the box turns blue before they can buzz in so they have to be quick on the draw.  I always wondered about that, so I thank that poster for the explanation.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Super Contributor

It was an exciting run...I HOPE that James takes away ONE thing from his time on Jeopardy........THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS!  Hate to see him blow thru his winnings in a few months betting in Vegas

Respected Contributor

Would Michael Jordan hand the basketball to his opponent because he felt bad for winning so much? James played half the games as Ken Jennings. He wasn’t tired and wanted to go home. James is a competitor. He’s spent his whole life working the numbers.  

He was making $60k for 30 minutes work. 

He did not throw the game. He was beat.

Just because he didn’t ring in the quickest doesn’t mean he didn’t ring in 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat   I totally agree with you.  Why would a professional gambler -- a job that is totally about winning -- purposely throw a game?  He was behind going into Final Jeopardy and bet what he had to to win if the other contestents missed the Final.  The strategy didn't pay off -- and he lost.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved watching James! But it seems like he threw the game. He's beaten better contestants before and was always on the draw with the right answer. It looked like he was sitting back and letting Emma win. Maybe he didn't want to beat Ken Jennings winning streak.