Honored Contributor

Re: Explanation of James' Final Jeopardy Betting Strategy

@judy0330 wrote:

@LdyBugz  I know what you are saying -- but I felt that way throughout his whole run.  There were a lot of  what I thought were easy questions and he didn't buzz in.  I kept saying to my husband "How can he not know THAT?????!!!!!"  Like you -- if I knew the correct response -- I couldn't imagine that HE did not!!!

EXACTLY!!

Valued Contributor

I think James knew the answers, it's just that the other contestan rang in

quicker than he did.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Respected Contributor

@Lyttlewyng wrote:

I think James knew the answers, it's just that the other contestan rang in

quicker than he did.

I don't think it was that the other contestants rang in quicker.  I'm not trying to be critical but he was pretty fast at ringing in.  I still think he didn't feel well and was slow or deliberate.

Honored Contributor

When I read your husband's explanation, my DH said from a gamblers perspective, that was the right thing to do. I still think he wanted Ken's record to stand.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9  My take is that he was just tired of the whole thing and wanted to be done with it.  I don't think the new winner was quicker to buzz in because he sure was quick all the other days.  I really wish he kept going though because he was amazing to watch.

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When I read your husband's explanation, my DH said from a gamblers perspective, that was the right thing to do. I still think he wanted Ken's record to stand.

I do too!

Honored Contributor

@judy0330.  Did you know that there's a town in Arizona by the name of Show Low after this gambling strategy?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

He threw it. The whole vibe tonight was off for him. I think he just got tired of it. My opinion only.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Lyttlewyng 

That's exactly what I thought.   She was very quick on the buzzer.

Respected Contributor

When players buzz in on Jeopardy they have to wait until Alex finishes reading the answer text and then the frame of the answer tile lights up BLUE. As soon as the blue light shows a staff member activates a switch. If the player buzzes in too quickly they get locked out for a split second.

That's why a lot of players frantically wave the buzzer. They got locked out.

I'll miss James, i don't believe he threw the game, he wanted to set a new record.  The librarian was a strong opponent  AND she got the Double Jeopardy DDs . James lost his usual control of the board