Honored Contributor

Re: Expired Food at your Grocery Store

As long as it's identified as expired and meets code, I'm okay with it. However, I would never buy it. What drives me crazy is buying something and finding it has an old date. I return the item, but it honks me off that it was on the shelf in the first place. I try to be very thorough and check, but once and a while I miss.

Super Contributor

My mother started receiving Meals on Wheels a few months ago and even they have delivered moldy bread and cooked chicken that was questionable.

Honored Contributor

I'm really careful now, on condiments...things like mayo, bbq sauce, and other bottled sauces. We don't go through these items quickly and I often buy the next jar, when we have a bit left in the old one. Sometimes, when I open up the new one, I see it's already very close to the exp. date.

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/14/2014 kaybee said:

My mother started receiving Meals on Wheels a few months ago and even they have delivered moldy bread and cooked chicken that was questionable.

That's disgusting.....poor woman waiting for her food only to find its gone bad....shame on the place that is sending it out...

Esteemed Contributor

the store I worked for would pay two dollars a product if you found it expired...there was a woman who made it her ""career"" to come in on a regular basis and check products to get the money....some nights she would get a goodly sum of money...

the owner said if his employees don't do their job to remove the expired products it was well worth the two dollar each for someone to do it....

not sure if he still does that...I have been retired for two years now...

Super Contributor

On 5/14/2014 circles said:
On 5/14/2014 kaybee said:

That's disgusting.....poor woman waiting for her food only to find its gone bad....shame on the place that is sending it out...

REALLY? Yikes. My In-laws get meals from them too, and aren't thrilled with it, but moldy and questionable chicken is discussing. Did she report it? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

I have talked to more than one manager through the years, no one seems to care.

I also find in the meat dept where it will give a 2 week window. The manager said that the computer printed it wrong. I told him that if I had used that hamburger with that type of window, I would be really sick.

That is so sad about the "Meals on Wheels". That should never happen.

Respected Contributor

I have no idea if expired food would make you sick but I don't want to eat it. When I'm shopping and notice that I have put something into my cart that is expired, I will bring it to someone's attention. Have seen expired food at Whole Foods such as Fage Yogurt (when I used to buy that), organic soup and also raisins.

Honored Contributor

On 5/14/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:

I'm going to check with our local health dept. I have seen lunchmeat over a month expired. They were selling boxed noodles that I'm sure wouldn't hurt you.

But I have found "Miracle Whip" that was expired several months. I think that would make you sick.

I really just can't believe this can happen.

Sister

If it is any kind of meat, milk, eggs or perisables they shouldn't be selling them at regular price, and some not at all. Turn them in. You can call the luncheon meat companies, i.e. oscar meyers, etc and let them know their products are being sold very expired.

No way am I going to buy expired food to bring home to expire more, and go bad. I rarely use milk and some products, so if I buy expired or a few days until expiration no way, will I buy. It just goes bad!

I think it is irresponsible of the grocery clerk to tell you that, but even worse they do it. In our store I have seen things a day or 2 passed ex. date. It happens, but not as a rule. Most of the companies come in and pull their product, as they restock new. Not all the companies. Grocery store is in charge or rotation on most food.

Honored Contributor

On 5/14/2014 circles said:

the store I worked for would pay two dollars a product if you found it expired...there was a woman who made it her "career" to come in on a regular basis and check products to get the money....some nights she would get a goodly sum of money...

the owner said if his employees don't do their job to remove the expired products it was well worth the two dollar each for someone to do it....

not sure if he still does that...I have been retired for two years now...

I wish my local market would do that. I have to be very careful with what I buy there and it's a fancy-pants, rather pricey storeSmiley Sad