Honored Contributor

Re: Expiration dates on vitamins and oils. Safe to take?

It's 10 months past the use by date, I'd just throw it out.  Oils spoil.  

Honored Contributor

I always understood that any flax product could go rancid quickly and wouldn't be healthy to take after the best by date.i keep my flax seed frozen to stop it from going rancid and try to use before the best by date.

Honored Contributor

Another thing...the flaxseed oil is not expensive. Just buy some new stuff, but not too much that you end up not using it all before it expires.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely get rid of it! That's nearly a year out of date! Some things don't just go stale or rancid, they can kill you!

I took outdated Valium that had been prescribed for a dental procedure. I had been given three pills to take. I took one before the dental appointment and forgot about the rest. One night I was up all night with a stomach virus. Nothing helped. I saw the Valium and took one. I was able to sleep for four hours! When I awoke, I took the last pill, hoping to sleep more. An hour later I woke up in distress. My dh called 911. It turned out the pills were long out of date and had become more potent! I thought it would be just the opposite! Now, I get rid of everything that is out of date! I never want to go through that again!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I would toss it, that's gone too far past the date for me.