Respected Contributor

Experienced Cookie Bakers....SOS !!!

[ Edited ]

Right before we left to do the snowbird thing in FL in early January, I bought a Cuisinart large mixer.  It was on super Christmas sale and I wanted to bake cookies since DH examines everything cookie package at the store to check salt content since his heart issues.

We got back in March and the cupboards and fridge were empty since we would be gone a while.  Mid-August and I finally unpacked the mixer !

Well I decided to order America's Kitchen " The Perfect Cookie " hardback.  It came in 2 days and I picked out my first adventure.  Loved how they explained why their approach was different from the standard recipe.

OK, but I couldn't find the oven temperature or minutes for baking.  Some recipes had this info but the Pecan bars didn't.  They explained all the ingredients, all the tools needed for each step, but this very basic info: NADA !

Googled info but all I came up with was " cookies should be baked at 350 for 8-10 minutes " as a generic

Am I missing something ???  Experienced bakers to the rescue !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Experienced Cookie Bakers....SOS !!!

Did you try to google the actual recipe? 

You could try to go to their website but they want your life story before you can see the whole recipe.

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz  My butter cutout cookies bake at 325* for 15 min. and basically all my other cookies I bake at 350* for about 13 minutes.  I use a larger cookie scoop for my cookies. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to remove incorrect info.

Respected Contributor

@Happy2BHere wrote:

You might watch this (official) America's Test kitchen video on youtube.

Elle and Julia from America's Test Kitchen are in the test kitchen making pecan bars (I don't know if it's the same recipe as yours) but they bake theirs at 350 degrees for 25 minutes Woman Wink

https://youtu.be/mHxbcyKfgJE

Mmmm looks yummy!

The book Jlkz mentioned is America's Kitchen. Not America's Test Kitchen.  Seriously ATK wouldn't omit this kind of detail.

350 degrees 15-18 minutes is pretty standard for cookies. Just check on them and you'll see when they look done. As other have said, find a similar recipe online and bake it at that temp.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz   Almost all cookies except very thin buttery ones are baked at 350°.  The time varies depending on the thickness of the cookie but most are 8-12min.  A bar cookie is thicker and will take longer, at least 25min and possibly longer.  Bake and after about 25min, test with a knife inserted in the center.  When it comes out clean, they're done.  Test at 5min intervals.  Also when they're done, they will pull away from the sides of the pan.  Be sure to grease the pan before baking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

@Happy2BHere wrote:

You might watch this (official) America's Test kitchen video on youtube.

Elle and Julia from America's Test Kitchen are in the test kitchen making pecan bars (I don't know if it's the same recipe as yours) but they bake theirs at 350 degrees for 25 minutes Woman Wink

https://youtu.be/mHxbcyKfgJE

Mmmm looks yummy!

The book Jlkz mentioned is America's Kitchen. Not America's Test Kitchen.  Seriously ATK wouldn't omit this kind of detail.

Oops yes, sorry I misread that. OP please disregard my poor effort to help! I'll edit to remove the info. Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@jlkz   ok, i googled americas test kitchen, and to make a long story short, there is a video of them making the ultra nutty pecan bars, on u-tube.  video is 8 mins. long.  to your ?  350 25 mins.  hope these are the ones. 

Trusted Contributor

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

Toast all of the pecans for the recipe (2 ¼ cups) on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350-degree oven until fragrant (about 8 minutes), stirring once. Assemble the pecan filling while the crust bakes. Once the crust is lightly browned, spread the filling on top and continue baking. Because of their high sugar content, pecan bars store well and taste great up to 5 days after baking. While we liked bourbon the best, dark rum is quite good. For a very boozy tasting bar cookie, add another tablespoon of liquor.

INSTRUCTIONS

For the crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fold two 16-inch pieces of foil or parchment paper lengthwise to measure 9 inches wide. Following illustrations 1 and 2 below, fit 1 sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan (overhang will help in removal of baked bars). Fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray sheets with nonstick cooking spray.

Place flour, brown sugar, pecans, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Process mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal, about five 1-second pulses. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles sand, about eight 1-second pulses. Pat mixture evenly into prepared pan and bake until crust is light brown and springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.

For the pecan filling: While crust bakes, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, bourbon, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until just combined. Add egg and whisk until incorporated.

Pour filling on top of hot crust and sprinkle pecans evenly over top. Bake until top is brown and cracks start to form across surface, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Remove bars from pan using foil or parchment handles and transfer to cutting board. Cut into bars that measure 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/4 inches.

Respected Contributor

To all posters / bakers:

Thank you for all the input....the you tube "Ultra Nutty Pecan Bars" is the exact name of the cookie !  I will have to watch this before I try anything.

The company, I just checked the book:  America's Test Kitchen.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill