Respected Contributor

@cherry  I am with you smile and a greeting is good - I do not like the hugs and ‘pecks’ on cheek from complete strangers/tourists- does not work for me and does not seem sincere - just how I feel.

Valued Contributor

I went to service tonight in my hometown in Italy. I sat away from people so I didn't have to shake hands.

Yesterday I took my elderly mother to service inside her nursing home.She is in a weelchair so she can't wash her hands.She often touches her lips.

Sometimes people shake her hand.A lot of people touch her hands as a greeting.It even happened today at a hospital.

I am a germophone so I don't like this practice.

Trusted Contributor

I am shocked by so many posts that agree with my view-I thought everyone liked it-not my type of thing...

Esteemed Contributor

I just happened to see this now.  At our Catholic Church, it's done very reverently, some will shake hands, others will just smile and say Peace be with you. I had no idea people didn't like this. It is no way a distraction from the Mass.  It's done in a minute, with Holy Communion following.  Sometimes some will say they have a cold, so just smile.  It's all done very nicely.  No one is running around the church, no one is hugging anyone, only my husband will kiss me on the forehead, and that's very nice, I like that. 

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

People who don't like the Sign of Peace probably don't fully realize the meaning behind it.  It's not a matter of socialization or kindness.  But I've never seen anyone care if someone doesn't want to do it.  People can wish others peace without touching or just decline the whole thing.  It's their life and soul.

You are wrong in your assumption ....I am very well-educated in my faith.