Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It's not about religion since it's a general practice in most if not all churches. No one is discussing beliefs. While voting is technically political, there is no issue with talking about long lines waiting to vote.

Assuming you're replying to my comment, I beg to differ, but I won't elaborate. It's all good.

My main point was about the fear of shaking hands or hugging in any setting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

My church does this and I don't like it. My husband and I have never liked it. We do this handshaking thing, but you go all over the church shaking hands, greeting each other.

For one thing, we do this all the time, even during flu season, there are many eldrely folks that go there, as well as people who think that if the church doors are open, they are suppose to be there no matter how sick they are.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I do not shake hands with anyone whether I'm in church or not.  In this day and age, why would anyone shake hands????  And hugging--you've got to be kidding.  And I do not feel embarrassed if people put out their hand to shake.  I just wave!

Every single doctor I have and I have many ...has always shook my hand when they first walk into the examination room. I wonder what they would do if I waved to them? LOL

After my son had surgery the doctor hugged me and told me he was going to be alright. Maybe I just look like a friendly person but I find some of the replies here very thought provoking.

Honored Contributor

RITE OF PEACE

Definition

The sign of peace offered at Mass. After the priest has prayed for peace and unity in the Church, the people are asked to express their love for one another before they share the Eucharist. Practical details of how this should be done are determined by the national or regional Bishops' Conference in accordance with the sensibilities and conventions of the people.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a church goer but who came up with that idea?   I can't think of one reason to do it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Exchange of Peace

[ Edited ]

This Episcopalian is surprised to see how many people find exchanging the Peace to be uncomfortable for them!  For me, and for other parishioners I know, we feel that it is an expression of the fellowship that exists among Christians.  We usually kiss family members, hug friends, and extend our hand in fellowship to those we do not as yet know.  We don't generaly get up and wander around our church, which is a pretty large one, but our rector often does come out to some of the front pews to exchange the peace.  I don't think I have ever heard anyone complaining about it, but I wouldn't from those I know best.  There are times when people sitting in the nearby pews  don't extend their hand, and we just wish them the Peace of the Lord.

We also drink from communal communion cups or just dip the host into it.  In the Episcopal church, it is considered to be a full communion if only the host is taken.  Or if someone wants just a blessing for whatever reason, they can come to the alter, kneel with the others, and cross their arms in front of them and the rector gives them a blessing.  For those who are infirm, communion is taken to them in their pews.

I would miss the exchange of the Peace were it omitted.

Honored Contributor

@Barbara in Virginia  I am also Episcopalian and while I dislike it, I have not shared my feelings with my fellow parishioners. There would be no way of mentioning it without it seeming something of an insult. No matter how it was put, in essence, it would be saying I didn't want to touch them. You may assume everyone feels as you do but they may feel otherwise and, like me, just go along with it keeping my dislike to myself.

Trusted Contributor

In my church, it's verbal, & some shake hands, but there's no pressure to do so.

Respected Contributor

The first time I experienced this hugging was at a church service geared toward single young adults. It was not a wishing of peace but more of an extended time to hug people and make everyone feel welcome. It was clear from their clinched hugs that a few of the men were there so they could closely hug women and not get rebuffed or called out. A very enthusiastic hugger targeted me, and I immediately gave him "the look." He stopped dead in his tracks, turned and made a beeline for another victim. I could not get out of there fast enough.

Our church has a moment of fellowship to greet others, but it's low key. I'm ok with that.

Trusted Contributor

To clarify, those I know best are huggers.  As I said earlier, those who might not like it wouldn't share that with me or even bring it up for discussion.  The Rite 1 people who come to the earliest service are generally those who don't want to have any frills, including music.  My husband has occasionally attended that service, and he has said that those there don't talk with each other, come in, sit down, and at the end of the service get up and leave. 

The Rite 2 service, the one I go to, is full on music (classical and traditional) , socialization, and fellowship.  We dress for that service. I have not attended the family service here as I no longer have children at home, but my understanding is that it is much more informal, often with guitars, and much more informal dress.

There really is something for everyone, and no one need feel uncomfortable. 

The only thing that we do that I have to pass on is the one service Easter eve where we have bells and smells.  Although the "smells" used are said to be hypoallergenic, they still make my eyes water, throat sore, and provoke coughing. And the Thuriger is very enthusiastitc about swinging those smells around with great enthusiasm!  I love that service but can't sit through it.  Those who enjoy the smells like them.  Different strokes.....