Respected Contributor

I had never experienced this exchange in U.K. (Though  I am sure it is there now) - so at end of my first service here in U.S. I was suddenly enveloped in hug by man sitting next to me to say I was surprised would not cover it!

No, I do not like this ‘happening’ so now I always sit at back and run when service over.  Just me do not like this I greet friends and a family that is good enough for me.

Honored Contributor

those of you who are out and about in the regular business world......dont you shake hands often with others when introduced or when meeting someone again or when at conventions/meetings/conferences? cannot imagine NOT doing that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

those of you who are out and about in the regular business world......dont you shake hands often with others when introduced or when meeting someone again or when at conventions/meetings/conferences? cannot imagine NOT doing that.

@sunshine45 - I have no problem at all shaking hands when introduced. No problem at all.  I have no problem at all walking into church, picking a pew, sitting down and exchanging pleasantries with the people around me while we wait for the service to start.  That’s a natural thing to do and I’m a friendly person. 

I’m just not a fan of the service is in progress and all of a sudden, everything   Comes to a screeching halt and everyone jumps to their feet and there is this frenzy of greetings between hundreds of people.  And then, it stops on a dime and everyone sits back down and it’s time for a hymn or prayer.  It just seems weird to me and it makes me uncomfortable. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

On my best days, it is a welcome reminder that my life is not about myself or my own comfort. 

A life well lived is a life spent in service to others.  Loving my neighbor.  Helping the infirm. 

I should go out of my way to wish another person well and I should go out of my way to mean it.    

Those are recurring themes at my church.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

i guess i am "lucky."  it isnt a "frenzied" exchange of peace and generally lasts a minute or two at the most. all around a pleasant experience and a nice ice breaker in some ways.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I had no idea that this was a religious thread because I'm not acquainted with the meaning of Exchange of Peace, which, btw, I am all for when it comes to other topics.

Surprised as I am that this thread is allowed, I will add my two cents to the poster who said that she never shakes hands or hugs people anywhere. Each to his own, but I'd rather take the risk of getting sick -- just as I do by touching things everywhere -- than avoid such normal human contact.

As for this particular custom, I have no opinion.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I like socializing during the coffee hour after the service. During the service I want left alone to experience it and to pray.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with wishing peace to people attending a worship service.  For me at least, it is a reminder of what God expects of me.  To have peace in my heart, to be conscious of this in my everyday life.  I am imperfect; I need this.

All you have to do is to look around, smile, and wish those around you peace.  I don’t need to hug or shake hands.  I have never been challenged on this.  No big deal.

Honored Contributor

It's not about religion since it's a general practice in most if not all churches. No one is discussing beliefs. While voting is technically political, there is no issue with talking about long lines waiting to vote.

Honored Contributor

It is actually from the monastic house where people live communally.They might have had a squabble  and didn't want to receive communion  harboring bad feelings, I was told this by a Franciscan  Friar

I was also told  by a priest, it is not obligatory. I recall when it first was incorporated, back in the 1970s

I have never done it. I just refuse to extend my hand. I don't snub anyone, I wish them peace, and I do it with a smile , and I sincerely mean it

I have never had anyone make a fuss about it

One of my friend's mother had a bone in her hand  broken( she had osteoporosis) by a big guy that gave hearty handshakes