Honored Contributor

Re: Excellent commentary on THE SLAP

@DiAnne wrote:

This is not on "Hollywood" this is completely on Will Smith!   

@DiAnne  @MarkeieMark 

Yes, it's completely on Will Smith.  This isn't about "Hollywood" at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoechic wrote:

@ellaphant 

People who STILL think this was "staged" will never admit they were wrong.

Why anyone would think that these two "faked violence" is beyond me.

Yes, Will smiled as he walked away. For a moment he felt satisfied & the crowd was laughing because they also thought it was a skit until Will started shouting profanities.

I agree that Will was smiling (smirking, I thought) because he felt like a big man who defended his damsel in distress.  He wasn't smiling because it was staged or scripted.  

Honored Contributor

He has one of the best comments I've seen; it's egotistical men in a nutshell:

"I saw an expression of toxic masculinity how men too often respond to passions with violence, and call it love; how they cloak their viciousness in valor; how they profess to protect the vulnerable with violence, when in fact they are animated by their own fragility."

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see the analogy to a Rorschach test. Maybe why he did it is subjective, and opinions will vary, but what he did is not.  Assault is assault and that is not ok. 

Esteemed Contributor

i read Charles Blow's piece in The NY Times and watched him on CBS this morning. I agree with him. I too was angered by the idea put forward by Smith and others that his violence was based on love. That is hogwash. Mrs. Smith has every right to be upset about her alopecia but that is no excuse for such an immature and out-of-control act.

I think Hollywood is in the process of self-destruction. As one comedian said, the reason they gave WS a standing ovation when he got his Oscar is that the audience didn't have time to call their publicists to find out what their most marketable reaction should be. I am a fairly liberal person but when I heard about some of the upcoming rules for Oscar eligibility (I won't mention them because I'd be zapped), I thought that you can't legislate creativity. It will be interesting to see what part of these Oscars will lead to anything. Meanwhile, Will Smith deserves punishment for what he did.

Respected Contributor

Kareem Abdul Jabbar's commentary

“When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face,” the NBA’s all-time leading scorer

“When Will Smith stormed onto the Oscar stage to strike Chris Rock for making a joke about his wife’s short hair, he did a lot more damage than just to Rock’s face,” the NBA’s all-time leading scorer wrote in a Substack column published Tuesday. “With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community.”

The NBA Hall of Famer also wrote in his column that some fellow celebrities have agreed with Smith’s actions toward Rock, noting comedian Tiffany Haddish’s remarks on the altercation that romanticized Smith as a loving husband who defended his wife’s name.

“Actually, it was the opposite. Smith’s slap was also a slap to women. If Rock had physically attacked Pinkett Smith, Smith’s intervention would have been welcome. Or if he’d remained in his seat and yelled his post-slap threat, that would have been unnecessary, but understandable. But by hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself—against words,” Abdul-Jabbar wrote.

“From everything I’d seen of Pinkett Smith over the years, she’s a very capable, tough, smart woman who can single-handedly take on a lame joke at the Academy Awards show,” he added.

Abdul-Jabbar noted in his column that Smith’s incident will allow more pundits to continue to push a narrative that Black people are “more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions,” also applauding Rock for handling the situation with “grace and maturity.”

“I don’t want to see him punished or ostracized because of this one, albeit a big one, mistake. I just want this to be a cautionary tale for others not to romanticize or glorify bad behavior. And I want Smith to be the man who really protects others—by admitting the harm he’s done to others,” Abdul-Jabbar concluded.

published Tuesday. “With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community.” 

The NBA Hall of Famer also wrote in his column that some fellow celebrities have agreed with Smith’s actions toward Rock, noting comedian Tiffany Haddish’s remarks on the altercation that romanticized Smith as a loving husband who defended his wife’s name.

“Actually, it was the opposite. Smith’s slap was also a slap to women. If Rock had physically attacked Pinkett Smith, Smith’s intervention would have been welcome. Or if he’d remained in his seat and yelled his post-slap threat, that would have been unnecessary, but understandable. But by hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself—against words,” Abdul-Jabbar wrote.  

From everything I’d seen of Pinkett Smith over the years, she’s a very capable, tough, smart woman who can single-handedly take on a lame joke at the Academy Awards show,” he added.

Abdul-Jabbar noted in his column that Smith’s incident will allow more pundits to continue to push a narrative that Black people are “more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions,” also applauding Rock for handling the situation with “grace and maturity.”

“I don’t want to see him punished or ostracized because of this one, albeit a big one, mistake. I just want this to be a cautionary tale for others not to romanticize or glorify bad behavior. And I want Smith to be the man who really protects others—by admitting the harm he’s done to others,” Abdul-Jabbar concluded.

Respected Contributor

Stupidity based on love also reminds of when fathers rage and talk about what they would do if their daughters are sexually assulted.  It only makes the daughters be reluctant to come to their fathers with problems.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still think it was scripted. And what a great way to get out of a contract.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

This was a personal commentary and not a  Rorschach test.

The author really did not submit any original observations; as  a man defending his wife, as an assault, as the result of an insult in comedy; etc.

We have seen the same observations on this very forum.

The Rorschach test is not used extensively today; nor did the author apply Exner scoring his observation.  (Exner took earlier scoring and made a comprehensive study regarding scoring.)

Now this quote from his article, again his own perspective, is the most original part of the article:

I saw an expression of toxic masculinity – how men too often respond to passions with violence, and call it love; how they cloak their viciousness in valor; how they profess to protect the vulnerable with violence, when in fact they are animated by their own fragility.

While this article was - well, creative at best -it is hardly a Rorschach test.

(btw: originally developed to test for Schizophrenia.  Just sayin'.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

i read Charles Blow's piece in The NY Times and watched him on CBS this morning. I agree with him. I too was angered by the idea put forward by Smith and others that his violence was based on love. That is hogwash. Mrs. Smith has every right to be upset about her alopecia but that is no excuse for such an immature and out-of-control act.

I think Hollywood is in the process of self-destruction. As one comedian said, the reason they gave WS a standing ovation when he got his Oscar is that the audience didn't have time to call their publicists to find out what their most marketable reaction should be. I am a fairly liberal person but when I heard about some of the upcoming rules for Oscar eligibility (I won't mention them because I'd be zapped), I thought that you can't legislate creativity. It will be interesting to see what part of these Oscars will lead to anything. Meanwhile, Will Smith deserves punishment for what he did.

You got that right. I read all the rules and it will be interesting to watch the outcome.