Honored Contributor

Re: Evine ditches deal with Jane Fonda and will close LA office.

@sunshine45 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@september wrote:

I don’t understand why women over 50 need to have different fitness clothing items than women under 50?

I wear the same basic exercise clothing items as my daughter. When she visits me, she doesn’t even bring these things, in order to pack fewer items. She wears my workout wear while she’s here. 

Same reason for any clothes designed for women over 50. Many of us had our fat rearrange itself and move to and from new and former places. 😕  Some of us need clothes with different waist to hip to arms to wherever proportions. 

For myself, personally, I wear tees and shorts to workout. Others, though, prefer to look better than I do when working out. 

Women over 50 have different bodies.  Their breast are enlarged.  Their waists and backs thickened.  The belly becomes prominent. Their hips are wider.  Menopause takes a beating on women's bodies. 

well @songbird   i dont know just what age you are, but i am definitely experiencing some of this! Smiley Wink

dont really know many who have bodies that have NOT changed in some way since their  20s/30s.

hips are definitely wider, bootie a bit bigger, breasts a bit droopier,  thighs not as firm, arms a bit more "flappy."......LOL, i better stop, i am depressing myself.

more power to those who have their 20 and 30 year old bodies after the age of 50! i am definitely jealous.

@sunshine45,  speaking for myself, I never said that I had the same body as when I was younger. I simple said that I don't have what she listed: larger breasts or wider hips, a prominent belly, and thickened waist and back.

Certainly, though, my skin is not nearly as taut; plus, it shows the effects of too much sun exposure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

JaneFonda.jpgThank heaven for make-up artists!

Honored Contributor

For 80 she looks amazing.  She has a fabulous figure! I do not care how much work she has had.....it is very good work!

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Women over 50 have different bodies.  Their breast are enlarged.  Their waists and backs thickened.  The belly becomes prominent. Their hips are wider.  Menopause takes a beating on women's bodies. 

Golly Gosh--I've been waiting 75 years for my breasts to enlarge!  Somebody must have gotten mine.

Hee @CJC  I believe it was me as I too was always challenged in that area in my younger days but alas in my old age I find myself with more than enough "stuff" roaming around the waistband of a given garment . . . hee!

Esteemed Contributor

It's quite possible that Evine determined that this clothing line would not be all that successful. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that had the endorsement or name of this "celebrity". I'm 71, and if the late 60s - 70s was the age group being targeted, I imagine there are others who would feel the same way.

Honored Contributor

Well, my original question was regarding why a woman over 50 needs to buy athletic wear especially designed “for us”.  

I am over 50...over 60, actually, but still buy clothing that works just as well for my 30 year old daughter.  Even if some of us have seen some body parts expand....clothing like this is stretchy and forgiving. 

I guess I’d have to see what Jane has to offer, to see if I would be a potential customer.  But that won’t happen unless she finds a new outlet for her sales. 

I would think she she could just launch her own website, like Kate Hudson did. 

Honored Contributor

Good, Evine is doing the right thing imo.  Let Fonda peddle her wares elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, cant feel a bit sorry for Hanoi Jane.  Her treason still gets under my skin.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

It's quite possible that Evine determined that this clothing line would not be all that successful. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that had the endorsement or name of this "celebrity". I'm 71, and if the late 60s - 70s was the age group being targeted, I imagine there are others who would feel the same way.

I agree. Just because some celebrity's name is on it, does not make me want to buy it.

OOPS! EXCEPT for George Foreman Grills (I bought 2). George Foreman was so accommodating to my son. My son was about 10 and we happened to run into George Forman at the Philadelphia Sportswriters Banquet. George Forman took my son aside and signed his autograph "To my buddy Tim". And he chatted a bit with my son too. He was a gracious man and so I would gladly buy his grills, whether his name is on the grill or not.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@september wrote:

I don’t understand why women over 50 need to have different fitness clothing items than women under 50?

I wear the same basic exercise clothing items as my daughter. When she visits me, she doesn’t even bring these things, in order to pack fewer items. She wears my workout wear while she’s here. 

Same reason for any clothes designed for women over 50. Many of us had our fat rearrange itself and move to and from new and former places. 😕  Some of us need clothes with different waist to hip to arms to wherever proportions. 

For myself, personally, I wear tees and shorts to workout. Others, though, prefer to look better than I do when working out. 

@songbird, an egregious generalization. I am way over 50 and have none of what you mentioned.

Just wait.