Honored Contributor

True evil is when good men stand by and do nothing.

Honored Contributor
On 3/26/2015 Pashmina said:
On 3/26/2015 bikerbabe said:

Some are born evil.

Some learn evil behaviors from others.

Some have a brain that short circuits and they do awful things.

There is no single answer.

Exactly in spite of what some may think, that it comes from rigid belief systems.

Learning evil behavior from others can come from rigid belief systems. Parents teach children to be bigots and perform hate crimes. Rigid belief systems full of unbending rules, hatred and fear can turn out the kind of kids or adults that set animals on fire, just out of sheer rage at being so repressed and punished within that belief system.

Not saying that rigid belief systems are the sole cause of evil behavior/deeds. Of course they're not the only cause. But if you delve into the history of major criminals, they were abused physically and emotionally, and given harsh mental and physical disciplin As children and teens.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor
On 3/26/2015 baker said:

True evil is when good men stand by and do nothing.

If that is true, what are you doing about the beheadings of Christians and innocent people by I.S.? If you are doing nothing then should I believe you or this country as a whole is evil?

Super Contributor
On 3/26/2015 moonchilde said:

Some are born evil.

Exactly in spite of what some may think, that it comes from rigid belief systems.

Learning evil behavior from others can come from rigid belief systems. Parents teach children to be bigots and perform hate crimes. Rigid belief systems full of unbending rules, hatred and fear can turn out the kind of kids or adults that set animals on fire, just out of sheer rage at being so repressed and punished within that belief system.

Not saying that rigid belief systems are the sole cause of evil behavior/deeds. Of course they're not the only cause. But if you delve into the history of major criminals, they were abused physically and emotionally, and given harsh mental and physical disciplin As children and teens.

Really? Ted Bundy wasn't abused nor was Scott Peterson.

Honored Contributor
On 3/26/2015 kittymomNC said:

PURE EVIL......

Adolf+Hitler.jpg#Hitler

I also think there are different kinds and levels of evil, as chickenbutt said. Merriam-Webster's definition is: morally reprehensible.

But that doesn't describe the kind of evil I think was epitomized by those like Hitler, and now ISIS, etc. There has to be a different word that describes that kind of evil... I just don't know what it is right now.

When I hear the word evil, this man always comes to my mind.

Regular Contributor
On 3/26/2015 HollyDays said:

Some are born evil.

Neither was Charles Manson. Was he born into the best of circumstances? No of course not but he chose his own path in life at an early age. Plenty of people have had worse childhoods than his but they did not turn into cold blooded killers.

Honored Contributor

I have known people that had mental illness that never hurt anyone but was unable to function in everyday life.

I think someone needs to read the ""Bible"" again.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/26/2015 Sister Golden Hair said:

I have known people that had mental illness that never hurt anyone but was unable to function in everyday life.

I think someone needs to read the "Bible" again.

When we go back to first readings, from the Holy Bible, then we learn that evil was as bad or worse as it is today. The instant communication lets us know (within a flash) what horrific happenings have just been done. Evil has been in the world since the beginning.

I have no way in knowing what/why has happened here anymore than anyone else; by this I mean -evil versus mental illness- anymore than any poster here today.

A lot of specualtion OR delivering news from the media as they hear it. Questions will have to be answered why anyone would want to take other lives along with theirs, if that is what I have heard (being relayed) from the cockpit recorder. Yes, it was horrible. Beyond horrible!

ps: I did read a few posts, especially when one poster said to the ( I believe OP) preceeding poster: For heaven's sakes, it was NOT the pilot who took control of the decend........then what does the poster believe that person in the cockpit WAS?

Both were PILOTS! Also, I would like to have more information WHERE stated: the aviation's SOP has 3 pilots in the cockpit. There is NO room for 3 pilots. Maybe a quick jumpseat passenger (pilot) on board, or the flight attendant. Contradition of information I have heard.

Everyone becomes an expert on everything around here-IN MY OPINION and I'm not that far off the mark............................IN MY OINION!
_Naes

Honored Contributor
On 3/26/2015 HollyDays said:

Some are born evil.

First of all, what I picked up on jn my response was one of **four* things the poster I was responding to mentioned, not an "only" reason. Secondly, you came up with two examples. I don't feel two people proves your point in comparison to the thousands of violent criminals who exist. And I *do* feel that Manson came from an abusive and abused environment. It was evidence given during his trial and in books written afterwards.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

No matter why this happened or other acts of violence, it is sad for the families that lose their loved ones.

We may be able to do anything for some things that happen but we can have respect for people in our life and on these boards. It must start somewhere.

Next time when you feel the need to bash someone that doesn't have the same beliefs as you, consider their feelings.