Honored Contributor

Everytime there is a Black Fri, I read about some brawl, at the mall

I stopped shopping at B&M stores ,a long time ago. Have you ever actually witnessed a fight in a mall, between shoppers?

I wonder if they are really something, that gets a lot of publicity, but rarely happens, in real life?

Honored Contributor

Re: Everytime there is a Black Fri, I read about some brawl, at the mall

Have been happening since the beginning of time. 

You see more about the fights because of the internet, cell phones & security cams.

It was a tridition in my household to go to the malls on Black Friday, sit on a bench & watch the free for alls.  Most were push & shoves & shouting matches "back in da day."  Rarely an out right fist fight.

My youngest woulld hold up a score card like they do in the Olympics. Smiley LOL

My children to this day have followed this "tradition."  My middle child & fam were on the "national" news last year holding up score cards at a particular bad one. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The only thing I know happened in my area ,was years ago, when my daughter worked at Service Merchandise

It was  during the time, when cabbage patch dolls were so popular. One women stole ,another woman's cabbage patch doll, from her cart.  The manager went to the thiefs cart ,and removed the doll, giving it back to the original buyer. My daugher witnessed this

I have never seen anything  untoward happen

Honored Contributor

I'm a brick and mortar shopper far, far more than I am an online one -  and I expect that to continue as long as I can drive and walk and there are stores to accommodate me.  I've never seen a fight, but I have never gone shopping prior to noon on any Black Friday and usually not even then.

How frequent are there fights?  Probably a little less often than there are road rage incidents, but once would be more than enough for me.  Fights can break out anywhere from a store to a movie theater to a restaurant or a church -  I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but I also don't want to be a prisoner in my own home.. 

Honored Contributor

A brawl or physical fight...no, never.  But disagreements over someone bumping someone with a shopping cart or holding a space for someone at the checkout.  And then there are the people who want to go to war because someone with 14 ites is in the 10 items or less line.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in retail and witnessed people and Black Friday behavior. One time the person unlocking the gate to open the store was pushed to the ground. People were pushing to get to items they had to have. And they wanted to make sure they got there first.

We learned next year people had to stand about 20 feet from the gate when it was being unlocked. And it was strictly enforced.

After that if there was a highly desired item, people had to stand in line and were given a number. Just like at the deli. We were not having people push one another over merchandise. They really have gotten the crowd control under control. But ours is a small store in the mall. I can't imagine trying to herd the people into stores with 4 or so doorways.

And one other advantage we generally knew many of the people who were coming in the store. We knew their names and they knew us. That makes a big difference.

And there are no shopping carts. So each person has to hold the merchandise they want to purchase in the arms. Not to say people don't hide stuff in displays. But the store is organized in such a way you can notice something that doesn't belong.

Honored Contributor

It was just "another Friday" around here..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have never seen a Black Friday fight.

But, Many years ago, I was in line at Wanamaker's waiting to be checked out on Black Friday. There were two lines and there was an elderly lady in one to the left of me.  We both got to the cashier at the same time and were both waited on. 

i was about to leave when  I heard her clearly upset.  She had set her large shopping bag down right by her feet until she paid for her items.  When she went to add the new purchase to the larger shopping bag, it was gone.  That bag was on the floor between the two of us and neither one of us or anyone else in line saw the thief take her bag.  She said she was all finished with her Christmas shopping, and now had no gifts.  I really felt so sorry for her.  I haven't shopped on Black Friday in years.  Too many people and many are not nice.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie:

That is so sad. I worked across the street from the main Wanamaker's store. I spent many a lunch hour or after work prowling through that store. Wanamaker's benefited from my frequent visits.

But it is sad about some things that happened. And I know with the rush of Black Friday unsavory people were out looking for a an opportunity to take advantage of the crowds.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t seen a fight but I have caused disruption by accidentally taking someone else’s cart in a grocery store...omg it’s not like they had already paid for the stuff but they were darn mad anyhow.I am careful now to check the cart I walk away with.