Respected Contributor

Re: Everything you type is recorded. Even if you don’t post.

On 1/27/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Nope just wishing I could also fine old stuff and think that it might be our tax dollar supporting this, so the public should also have access to at least their personal files!Smile

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Jezzebell said:
On 1/27/2015 Irish Rosebud said:

From your link:

" paper titled “Self Censorship on Facebook” written by Sauvik Das from Carnegie Mellon University and Adam Kramer from Facebook... shows that everything you type in Facebook’s post text box is being recorded and stored regardless of whether you post it or not."

Everything you ever type in FACEBOOK'S POST TEXT BOX is being recorded and stored.

That's NOT what the paper was about or said. This is a copy of it's total conclusion and it doesn't say ANYTHING about Facebook saving what you type before you post it:

"Conclusion:

We studied the last-minute self-censorship habits of 3.9 million English speaking Facebook users, and found that a large majority (71%) self-censored content at least once. Decisions to self-censor appeared to be driven by two principles: people censor more when their audience is harder to define, and people censor more when the relevance of the communication“space” is narrower. In other words, while posts directed at vague audiences (e.g., status updates) are censored more, so are posts directed at specifically defined targets (e.g., group posts), because it is easier to doubt the relevance of content directed at these focused audiences.

We also uncovered the relationships between various user-specific factors and the frequency of self-censorship on Facebook. Indeed, as the first study examining self- censorship on Facebook at this scale, we directly supported some prior findings—for example, that males and people with more boundaries to regulate “self-censor” more — while showing findings from other work to be less consistent—for example, that people who exercise more control over their audience with audience selection tools self- censor less. Through this work, we have arrived at a better understanding of how and where self-censorship manifests on social media; next, we will need to better understand what and why. "

Uh, the article mention Facebook three times.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Everything is always floating around somewhere in cyberspace. I don't have anything financial on my computer. They always tell folks to print out everything, anyway, for back- up protection. So I just have them mail my statements.

But isn't it there whether you access it or not? All the banks and brokers and store accounts are already online, aren't they?

Frequent Contributor

Sorry. Don't know why it won't let me post.

Short answer: Plaid Pants is correct.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 javala said:
On 1/27/2015 RainCityGirl said:

Nope just wishing I could also fine old stuff and think that it might be our tax dollar supporting this, so the public should also have access to at least their personal files!Smile

Tax dollar???..LMBO. Do you care about Round 8 of nothing that is costing tax dollars * times for nothing new. Pfftt.

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 1/27/2015 Jezzebell said:

From your link:

" paper titled “Self Censorship on Facebook” written by Sauvik Das from Carnegie Mellon University and Adam Kramer from Facebook... shows that everything you type in Facebook’s post text box is being recorded and stored regardless of whether you post it or not."

Everything you ever type in FACEBOOK'S POST TEXT BOX is being recorded and stored.

That's NOT what the paper was about or said. This is a copy of it's total conclusion and it doesn't say ANYTHING about Facebook saving what you type before you post it:

"Conclusion:

We studied the last-minute self-censorship habits of 3.9 million English speaking Facebook users, and found that a large majority (71%) self-censored content at least once. Decisions to self-censor appeared to be driven by two principles: people censor more when their audience is harder to define, and people censor more when the relevance of the communication“space” is narrower. In other words, while posts directed at vague audiences (e.g., status updates) are censored more, so are posts directed at specifically defined targets (e.g., group posts), because it is easier to doubt the relevance of content directed at these focused audiences.

We also uncovered the relationships between various user-specific factors and the frequency of self-censorship on Facebook. Indeed, as the first study examining self- censorship on Facebook at this scale, we directly supported some prior findings—for example, that males and people with more boundaries to regulate “self-censor” more — while showing findings from other work to be less consistent—for example, that people who exercise more control over their audience with audience selection tools self- censor less. Through this work, we have arrived at a better understanding of how and where self-censorship manifests on social media; next, we will need to better understand what and why. "

Uh, the article mention Facebook three times.

Uhhhh I didn't say it didn't mention Facebook. I said it never talks about Facebook saving what we type before we post it. Irish Rose's quote said "shows that everything you type in Facebook's post text box is being recorded and stored regardless of whether you post it or not." Show me where the article "Self Censorship on Facebook" says that.

Frequent Contributor

Jezzebell, I tried to post the explanation earlier, but the post wouldn't go through. I'll try again using different words.

The OP linked to an article and made a claim about what the article said but neglected to mention that, according to the article (which I quoted), the stated claim was only true about the post text box on Facebook. Nothing else. THAT was what was studied.

The author of the article is implying that the only way the data could have been collected which were the basis of the conclusion was if Facebook stored all keystrokes, posted or not, typed in the post text box.

That is derived from the "self-censorship" in the context of what was studied and described in the article. The article's author clearly states that because of the conclusion, we can deduce that Facebook stores all keystrokes.

HTH

Respected Contributor

Jezzebell, I tried to post the explanation earlier, but the post wouldn't go through. I'll try again using different words.

The OP linked to an article and made a claim about what the article said but neglected to mention that, according to the article (which I quoted), the stated claim was only true about the post text box on Facebook. Nothing else. THAT was what was studied.

The author of the article is implying that the only way the data could have been collected which were the basis of the conclusion was if Facebook stored all keystrokes, posted or not, typed in the post text box.

That is derived from the "self-censorship" in the context of what was studied and described in the article. The article's author clearly states that because of the conclusion, we can deduce that Facebook stores all keystrokes.

HTH

Exactly.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Super Contributor

HTH

Thanks Irish Rose for explaining nicely and kindly, now my thick skull gets it and I see what you meant! Smile

Frequent Contributor

You're most welcome, my friend. Glad to be of help.

But if you've got a thick skull, so do I -- because I still can't figure out what forbidden word or phrase I used that got my attempted earlier post blocked. Who could guess that writing about text on Facebook could be so controversial? Smile