Trusted Contributor

Everything has changed, even Avon

I recently contacted the Avon Find a Rep site asking for the name of a rep in my town.  I was given 2 names and contacted them both to say I would like to see a brochure.  I haven't heard from any of them.

Then I contacted Avon on their website and asked why I hadn't heard from the 2 reps that they recommended.  Their reply to me was that they only recommend the rep.  It is up to that rep to do the next step.  They are independent business woman and make their own rules.

What?  I thought Avon was human contact with the customer.  Now it seems that everything has changed and that going the extra step in meeting and greeting the customer is gone.  

She said to call them and they can recommend some more names but why would I bother?

Honored Contributor

Re: Everything has changed, even Avon

I usually see their brochures in stores.  Flea markets and places that cater to women.  I always like to order online and not get the sales women started wanting to come out all the time to my house and catch me in my gown, not made up, etc.

when I go online they want U to use their reps and I don't want to rather pay for shp to get in mail.

Summer venues, flea markets, community markets, block activities that have summer produce is where I see their stands.

Honored Contributor

Just view their brochures on their website! I lost my Avon lady when I moved 3 years ago so now I just place my orders on-line. I do notice that I am going through a rep even when I place my orders on their website. The rep I'm using is in the upper left corner. Since I place orders, I do get brochures dropped in my mailbox. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@newname0wrote:

I recently contacted the Avon Find a Rep site asking for the name of a rep in my town.  I was given 2 names and contacted them both to say I would like to see a brochure.  I haven't heard from any of them.

Then I contacted Avon on their website and asked why I hadn't heard from the 2 reps that they recommended.  Their reply to me was that they only recommend the rep.  It is up to that rep to do the next step.  They are independent business woman and make their own rules.

What?  I thought Avon was human contact with the customer.  Now it seems that everything has changed and that going the extra step in meeting and greeting the customer is gone.  

She said to call them and they can recommend some more names but why would I bother?

I buy directly from the website.

Almost every beauty shop near me has a brochure and the rep is probably someone who works there or a relative.    

It's been a while since I've been on the website but I think you can browse the most recent brochure online.    I get your frustration.    I used to buy from a co-worker.   She left the company and did not keep up her current customers, I guess she just found new customers at her new job,

Or you could become a rep.    About 20 years ago, I got tired of chasing down a rep and started selling myself.

Honored Contributor

@newname0  Interesting you posted this.

A month or so ago, I was looking for a Tastefully Simple rep. About 15 years ago, my area was flooded with them. Now? There are 2 within a 4 county area. Like Avon, they direct you to their site. So, I go. It's all about ordering via their site but the product will be mailed to you. This tells me that they don't do anything (unless you want to host a party) but get the commission and perks.

Something else: the sites give you the reps' name and then they fill out something about themselves and a picture (it's a standard format, you can tell). One woman had a paragraph about herself which was filled with numerous spelling errors, poor grammar and a swear word. No picture. The OTHER rep didn't have anything about herself but had a picture of her that was a bit...suggestive, shall we say. NEITHER came across as professional, nor struck a vibe with me that they cared about their business.

Which leads me to this: companies wonder why people shop on-line and cut out the salesperson. Maybe because the salesperson doesn't know their product, doesn't care about their product and/or doesn't care about the customer- the only thing they want is the money. Companies are also only concerned about the bottom line because they appear to not care who represents them. Round it goes.

I didn't order anything. After scanning the site and being told I would need to contact the person directly (which I did and a month later....no response), I took my money elsewhere. It's hard to feel sorry for people and companies when the amount of effort they put into CS is.....gone.

Good luck finding your Avon rep. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to order through my sister's co-worker, but it took weeks (sometimes over a month) before I received my order. So now, if I want anything from Avon, I order directly from the website. No problem! I place the order and get it within a week or so.

Honored Contributor

I've been buying Avon online for years.  Never had an issue with it. 

If I have a question I just use the "contact us" at the bottom of their home page ... in a day or so, I get my answer.

Honored Contributor

@newname0wrote:

@newname0

Well, it's pretty clear to me .....   these women are not salaried employees, so time management is critical. 

I'm assuming you don't live 50 miles away, but to take an hour or more and considering the gas costs to drop off a brochure or deal with someone who says "I'll think about it"  ....  can be seen as losing money if there's no purchase made.    

I think Avon was in its heyday when a larger segment of the female adult population were stay at home moms.  These days, it's just easier to order online.   

Honored Contributor

I buy all my Avon on ebay. Most ebay sellers are Avon reps.

Honored Contributor

Many reps now have stores - the one in our fl. town is in the front of a beauty shop , the one I used to go to in Pa was in a section of a gift boutique. Google or look in the phone book for an Avon store in your area.