Honored Contributor

Re: “Everybody who was in New York should be self-quarantining

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’ve read several articles in the past week on what worked in China. Unfortunately, it’s not what most of us want to hear. There’s a Wall Street Journal article from today talking about how the west has missed the point on what China did that stopped the spread of the virus. It wasn’t just stay at home. The virus continued to spread and overwhelm the healthcare system until they took the move to identify anyone who was positive whether they had symptoms or not and removing them and isolating them in separate quarantine facilities. Otherwise, the person who tested positive just spread the virus to everyone else in the family and it became an endless cycle of families continually getting sick. It was a move that required a massive escalation of testing everyone and if you tested positive, you moved out of the home to an isolation facility. 😢

@bikerbabe 

Also reading about HongKong, took action quickly, saw numbers drop, thought good, lightened up, then spiked again.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Yes. The worry is that China is easing restrictions and no one knows what will happen.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819

I’m not saying we can or should do the same thing as China. My point was simply that they had to do more than what we may be willing to do. What that means for us is the big question.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Texas went into a strict shelter in place directive on 03/24 at 11:45 PM. Looks like schools will not be finishing up the school year after spring break.

We've only had 69 documented cases in my local counties, but throughout TX we've had a questionable number (can't find reliable number), with 9 deaths, so far.  I'm glad we're locking down. Maybe we can stay ahead of this thing. 

Edited to add that it appears TX rural areas will not be under stay at home restrictions. All in all, for the size of this state and with it's big cities, we're not doing too bad. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovescats wrote:

administration is advising that individuals leaving New York self-quarantine for 14 days to avoid spreading the coronavirus to other parts of the country.

Dr. Deborah Birx, a member of the White House’s coronavirus task force, made the recommendation during a press conference as cases in New York continue to increase rapidly. “Everybody who was in New York should be self-quarantining for the next 14 days to ensure that the virus doesn't spread to others, no matter where they have gone, whether it's Florida, North Carolina or out to ... Long Island,” Birx said.

to me this definitely makes sense

I heard yesterday the spread was probably due in large part because of contaminated surfaces in the subway.  Who's surprised by that????  I'm out on LI but haven't been in the city in quite some time.  From the beginning, I've said the subway will be the problem.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wish the people with out of state license plates, many from NY had heeded the self quarantine recommendations. My and many other town's  beaches were mobbed with people Not following the 6ft. rule. Day trippers, people thinking it is a good time for a vacation,etc. are not taking this seriously. We like other towns surrounding us are small and are not prepared for this onslaught of people during the off season.  Our first responders departments are low, we haven't done the hiring for the summer yet. Our small hospital is not prepared.  When the day trippers leave they stop at the grocery store and do their shopping to take back home. Finally, finally our town manager closed all the beaches. The surrounding towns followed suit. During the off season we are just not prepared for all these people.  People that should be staying home and not traveling.

Trusted Contributor

It's probably more likely that the guy from New Rochelle got it in NYC and brought it home. My county has more than I would expect but we have a lot of travel back and forth with the city. It's still very low in NY counties that don't have this issue.

Honored Contributor

I hope New Yorkers take her suggestion seriously, She seems to really be on top of this.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope other states with significant numbers of cases take this advice as well --- not just limited to New York.  And if people are really smart about this even states with very few cases would be wise to stay put. People need to stop traveling.  Period.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rockycoast - ITA. And, our Gov. is not curtailing anything other than the 6' rule. I can't even count the number of out of state license plates I saw the other day.