Valued Contributor

Re: Ever worry about your memory as you get old(er)?

I don’t know, I can’t remember ! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

WOW.  That's some theory.  I kind of lost you along the way.  

@rms1954 

I haven't read @Annabellethecat66  theory yet. I almost always write my posts just from the title of the thread. 

For me it's easier to express what I have to say solely from my own perspective, regardless of what other posters might have written.

After that I sometimes read all the posts, or wait for the wrath of notifications from those that might not have liked what I had to say. Also sometimes from those that ❤ my post.

That way it also leaves me less confused! Most of the time!

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

What was the question again?

Respected Contributor

It's frightening how many things I forget nowadays. I always had a superb memory. Now it's slipping!

Honored Contributor

The Prevagen commercials are running overtime in my neck of the woods.  So much so, I know I have no memory loss because everytime the commercial comes on, I can repeat the commercial word for word. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Many of you are aware my mother is in the last stage of vascular dementia; every day is a new challenge.   

My mother was the baby of her family, and the one everyone looked to for guidance and support.  I grew up watching my mom take care of the needs of her parents, brother, sister, husband and us 3 kids.  Mom took multi-tasking to a whole new level; no day planner, no written notes, she just remembered all the important things and got them done.   

The years passed, and so did the family.  Once my dad passed, her days of being a caregiver were over.  The days of remembering appointments, and other peoples needs were gone.  

Then the mini strokes were diagnosed, and a few years later, here we are.   The years of multi tasking kept my mom sharp.  The first few years into dementia, daily routine kept my mom on track.  Putting the coffee on, walking out to get the paper, and other daily tasks inside her home, were the important things that kept mom on track.   

Now?  Mom is slipping farther into the dark abyss of dementia.   What she actually remembers is a surprise from day to day.  To me, the key to holding onto our memory is to keep reading, writing, learning, talking, doing things that keeps our mind and body active.  For those who are widowed and alone, but still drive, making a daily trip out in the car will help keep you alert and functioning.  You must find something that keeps you connected and going; mentally and physically.   

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn You're funny.  I get the "wrath of notifications."  

I do have a question (not related to memory) and I thought you'd be the best to help.  I fell while taking a walk three days ago.  I tripped on the sidewalk went forward and down to the right hitting my chin on the corner edge of the stair landing (cement) cutting it and had to get four stitches.  I was left with severe pain in my left jaw/ear area.  I thought I broke it.  I was so scared.  Sitting there bleeding.  So after 3/4 minutes I gathered myself up and walked back home.  I went to the emergent care.  The took xrays upon my insistant although NP didn't feel it necessary, her supervisor did.  They said nothing broken or fractured.  So i left and called my dentist and they said to come in and they did a circular scan of my jaw and teeth.  They said nothing was broken.  I still have excruciating pain in my ear.  Being a person who has had many injuries, should I go to an ear nose throat specialst.  I have no ringing but it's very difficult to open my mouth more than an inch.  

Honored Contributor

I have trouble remembering names of some actresses/actors who were popular years ago.

I spent one entire day trying to remember Dee Wallace Stone's name.

I recalled her face, her unique voice demeanor, etc. 

Recited the alphabet, etc.  Couldn't remember.

Then, in the middle of the night, half asleep, her name just appeared in my mind.

So, I jotted it on a post-it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@Imtep.... I just wanted to say I'm very sorry you fell a few days ago. I know I'm not the person you asked for help from but l just wanted to say that it sounds like you fell down pretty hard and really jarred your whole lower jaw, etc. It was a good idea you went to both your doctor and dentist and nothing is broken! Smart move! I feel you are bruised on the inside and you need to heal. Did either office advise you to take Tylenol or anything else for the pain? Tylenol has always helped me when I've fallen or for anything else...but I never fell as hard as you. I'm sure @hckynutjohn will answer your question tomorrow but in the meantime I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you fell and I hope you feel better a little better every day. P.S. I'm having trouble with posting here lately...can't make my print any larger, make paragraphs or anything!! So frustrating!
Honored Contributor

I assume I don't remember as well as I used to because my brain is so full.