Honored Contributor

Re: Ever watch a terribly disturbing movie...

American Psycho is a disturbing movie I liked though it's been awhile since it came out.

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Lavinia said: That's my fav kind of movie, disturbing. Unfortunately, I have a high tolerance for disturbing. Eraserhead is a great classic. Henry: Portrait of a serial killer is excellent. Martyrs is one if my all-time favorite films, quite wonderfully disturbing -- absolutely great. Inside is good, as is Sheitan and Calveire -- these are french films and for awhile they were turning out some pretty disturbing, by most standards, films. A serbian film got lots of hype but it is just stupid, grossly a parody of itself, just terrible, and with such an interesting premise too. And for those of you who like tom hardy, check out his best movie, Bronson. Should've won an oscar and, if you care, some full frontals. He is absolutely fantastic in this, totally transformed himself into character -- and it is not a romantic, mushy movie.

Ever see S_xy Beast?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 just bee said:

Again I have to say that the average Hollywood horror film is not disturbing, but there has been disturbing literature.

When I was little our home was filled with books. I read Ray Bradbury's The October Game and it immediately became a favorite. Disturbing, of course, but I wasn't scarred for life.

But there was another story... Angus Wilson's Raspberry Jam. Now that was disturbing.

I read it in the 60s as a child and I don't think I could read it today. Absolutely horrifying.

Do you remember reading any of the 'fairy tales' by the brothers Grim?? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 colliemom3 said:

American Psycho is a disturbing movie I liked though it's been awhile since it came out.

Christian Bale is lovely.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

the book was even more disturbing. i loved it but i'm a degenerate.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/12/2014 betteb said:
On 4/12/2014 sophiamarie said:

After I saw "Misery" - I just had to read the book, so I got it on my Kindle. Much, Much, Much, more intense than the movie. I couldn't put it down. It's a good book to read if you have a doctor appt. and know the wait is going to be long (like the Ophthal.)

Oh you are so right about that. The book was much, much better. Some books just don't translate as well to the screen. Sometimes the imagination is much wilder than any production.

I'm not even a Stephen King fan (hubby is) - but even The Green Mile was another book I had to read. If I remember correctly, King published them in 6 different volumes, each one a month apart. I think it was the most gripping series I ever read..... I couldn't wait for the next month.

Honored Contributor

Christian Bale is lovely.

LOL! Love Christian Bale!

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 evelomaddict said:

the book was even more disturbing. i loved it but i'm a degenerate.

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 mgm2 said:

Again I have to say that the average Hollywood horror film is not disturbing, but there has been disturbing literature.

When I was little our home was filled with books. I read Ray Bradbury's <em>The October Game</em> and it immediately became a favorite. Disturbing, of course, but I wasn't scarred for life.

But there was another story... Angus Wilson's <em>Raspberry Jam</em>. Now <em>that</em> was disturbing.

I read it in the 60s as a child and I don't think I could read it today. Absolutely horrifying.

Do you remember reading any of the 'fairy tales' by the brothers Grim?? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Horrific stuff! Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, Snow-White and Rose-Red, Hansel and Gretel --these were fluffy compared to some of the Grimm tales.

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair! She let the hair down. The king's son ascended,
but instead of finding his dearest Rapunzel, he found the enchantress, who gazed at him
with w__ked and venomous looks. "Ah -ha," she cried mockingly, "You would fetch your
dearest, but the beautiful bird sits no longer singing in the nest. The cat has got it, and
will scratch out your eyes as well. Rapunzel is lost to you. You will never see her again."
The king's son was beside himself with pain, and in his despair he leapt down from the
tower. He escaped with his life, but the thorns into which he fell pierced his eyes. Then
he wandered quite blind about the forest, ate nothing but roots and berries, and did
naught but lament and weep over the loss of his dearest wife. Thus he roamed about in
misery for some years, and at length came to the desert where Rapunzel, with the twins
to which she had given birth, a boy and a girl, lived in wretchedness. He heard a voice,
and it seemed so familiar to him that he went towards it, and when he approached,
Rapunzel knew him and fell on his neck and wept. Two of her tears wetted his eyes and
they grew clear again, and he could see with them as before. He led her to his kingdom
where he was joyfully received, and they lived for a long time afterwards, happy and
contented.

Yes, they lived happily ever after -- after all that agony and torture, of course.
(I do admit I liked those stories.)

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 evelomaddict said:

the book was even more disturbing. i loved it but i'm a degenerate. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I didn't know there was a book. That was a quirky, bizarre movie.

Do you happen to know the author offhand?

I'd like to pick it up at the library.