Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever watch a terribly disturbing movie...

On 4/12/2014 just bee said:

Hollywood horror films do not disturb me. What's disturbing is a documentary like Memory of the Camps.

Now that's horror.

That was brutal.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 sunshine45 said:

the bad seed is on at 5:30 et on TCM if anyone has not seen it before.

Hey -- thanks! Watching it now.

Fabulous film, but Hollywood slapped on a "happy ending" to make it more palatable. (The theatrical addition with the actors at the film's finale.)

Loved it. And the original Lord of the Flies. Convinced me to never have children.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

Hollywood horror films do not disturb me. What's disturbing is a documentary like <em>Memory of the Camps.</em>

Now <em>that's</em> horror.

That was brutal.

That was history. That was reality. And that's what's scary.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/12/2014 sophiamarie said:

After I saw "Misery" - I just had to read the book, so I got it on my Kindle. Much, Much, Much, more intense than the movie. I couldn't put it down. It's a good book to read if you have a doctor appt. and know the wait is going to be long (like the Ophthal.)

Oh you are so right about that. The book was much, much better. Some books just don't translate as well to the screen. Sometimes the imagination is much wilder than any production.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 ------ said:

My style is Clockwork Orange and Eraserhead. That's as intense as I can handle

It's good to know that someone else besides me appreciated Eraserhead!

Yet another reason I never had children!

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 4/12/2014 ktlynam said:

Yes, I have. The one that sticks with me the most is the movie "8mm" with Nicholas Cage and Joaquin Phoenix. It is very disturbing. One other movie was "Hostel."

Hostel was such a terrifying plot! How do people come up with such horror ?

Hi, gazelle77: Horror stories can come from the author's dreams, newspaper articles. It's not terribly different than what Hitchcock would do: think of what terrifies people the most--take a normally innocent situation/animal/child/etc. and turn it into something monstrous. People hunt animals for sport...just expand that thought to include humans as the hunted for sport or entertainment for other humans. Then all you need to do is to add the more gruesome special effects of blood, the dungeons. The victims are the innocent young people who love to explore Europe on their own through the network of popular hostels. The hostels become the "trap." Stephen King said that he often took his ideas from his dreams and just expanded on them for his books.

I've often thought a good story could involve the car GPS system. Turn it into a malignant, evil entity that would take its passengers to a gruesome destination and their deaths instead of to their intended family vacation destination.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 sunshine45 said:

the bad seed is on at 5:30 et on TCM if anyone has not seen it before.

Hey -- thanks! Watching it now.

Fabulous film, but Hollywood slapped on a "happy ending" to make it more palatable. (The theatrical addition with the actors at the film's finale.)

Loved it. And the original Lord of the Flies. Convinced me to never have children.

"I hit him with my shoe again!!!!!!"

"What will you give me for a basket of kisses?"

Maybe this explains why I work in psychiatry today...

Honored Contributor

Again I have to say that the average Hollywood horror film is not disturbing, but there has been disturbing literature.

When I was little our home was filled with books. I read Ray Bradbury's The October Game and it immediately became a favorite. Disturbing, of course, but I wasn't scarred for life.

But there was another story... Angus Wilson's Raspberry Jam. Now that was disturbing.

I read it in the 60s as a child and I don't think I could read it today. Absolutely horrifying.

Super Contributor

That's my fav kind of movie, disturbing. Unfortunately, I have a high tolerance for disturbing. Eraserhead is a great classic. Henry: Portrait of a serial killer is excellent. Martyrs is one if my all-time favorite films, quite wonderfully disturbing -- absolutely great. Inside is good, as is Sheitan and Calveire -- these are french films and for awhile they were turning out some pretty disturbing, by most standards, films. A serbian film got lots of hype but it is just stupid, grossly a parody of itself, just terrible, and with such an interesting premise too. And for those of you who like tom hardy, check out his best movie, Bronson. Should've won an oscar and, if you care, some full frontals. He is absolutely fantastic in this, totally transformed himself into character -- and it is not a romantic, mushy movie.
Esteemed Contributor

I record a lot of Crime Dramas too. Right now, I am watching a 1950 movie called "The Blue Gardenia" with Anne Baxter and Raymond Burr (remember them????)... I love these kinds of movies. Like Gaslight, Notorious, Baby Jane, etc..... I watch TCM a lot and record all the ones that say "Crime Drama".....{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I even liked Marty....