Respected Contributor

Re: Ever get caught off guard by a picture........

I just lost my mom a few months ago. I find a great deal of comfort in remembering her by looking at the photos I have on my phone/iPad/computer. Several times a week, it seems, I go to my photos to do something else and find myself looking through the ones of her that I gathered in a folder after her death. I love seeing all of the happy times with her and my dad (who died about two years before she did).

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 : Yes- not a photo but a portrait.My Mom died in 1977 when I was 22. I had just started working full time and worked with a guy that was a good artist. He said if I had a good up close photo he would be honored to do her portrait. Office was small and narrow with a center isle and desk lined up on each side. He placed the portrait on the first desk entering door on the right. I walked in and passed by and immediately started crying because I saw Mom out of the corner of my eye. Everyone in the office just stopped like the whole office was in pause mode. Everyone said when they entered the office that morning they were caught off guard by the portrait. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

After my DH died in 1992  I led a few grief groups in my church.

We found it takes  most people about 3 yrs to finally feel like themselves again.

We were not strictly  "hard grieving"   all those 3 yrs, but about then is when we began to feel whole again and look  towards the future.

But then again everyone is different.