Honored Contributor

Ever Wonder About Those Olympic Medals?

Did you ever wonder what those medals are made of and what kind of payday the winners have?  Here's the scoop.

image.jpeg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever Wonder About Those Olympic Medals?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Did you ever wonder what those medals are made of and what kind of payday the winners have?  Here's the scoop.

image.jpeg

Government funding?  WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT.  I am not exactly a supporter of the Olympics so I wouldn't want to be forced to pay for the taxes on something I'm not interested in supportinjg.  Not at all.  I do support the athletes with my cheer but that's all.  Like so many, many, other things 'the government funds' that I don't have a care for , need for, or interest at all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Whatever, I'm okay with not taxing the medals but I'm not in favor of subsidizing or supporting the athletes.   Not with public funds.  

Honored Contributor

My vote would be to not tax their winnings (cash or medals) and no tax dollars for the Olympics, except when they are scheduled to be held here as they draw so much money for the economy, we can fund certain infrastructure things to make that happen. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not in favor of taxpayers having to fund the quest of these olympians but would support not taxing them on the value of their medals.

I had no idea the olympic committee pays them for the medals they get.  

Honored Contributor

Taxing Medal Winners?  I think that is an outrage. What next, having them pay there own way to the Olympic sites, and back?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've won around 65 medals so far. The taxes are a drop in the bucket.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no issues with taxing the Olympians' prize money.  If I won the lottery or prizes on a game show, I'd be taxed.  Professional athletes' salaries are taxed.  It's the American way.  At least they don't lose NCAA eligibility for that income.

Honored Contributor

Although cities do get economic benefit from hosting the Olympics, consider the billions of taxpayer dollars that go to build the increasingly fancy venues that comprise an "Olympic village".  They are constantly adding new sports and must have a facility to accommodate it.  Consider also the expense of providing security, an increasing concern.  There really are very few cities in the world wealthy enough or willing to host the games.  Considering the conditions in Rio, you've got to wonder why they were chosen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The issue isn't host cities. It's taxing athletes for their medals' value.

Those who favor them paying taxes are just plain petty, imo.