Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever Need To Just Avoid News Stories?

I'm with a lot of you on not watching the news.  I do watch a little of it and read the paper every day and catch some of it on the internet.  But if you hear a story once I guess that's enough.  So much of it is repeat and repeat.

Some of it I just can't stand, especially when it involves innocent children.  I have found that a little news goes a long way w/me.  I'm 80 yrs old and don't need to drive up my BP over things I can't solve, so I just pray a lot!!

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Turner Classic Movies channel is my friend.

@deepwaterdotter  Yes, it’s a great escape isn’t it😊

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I more or less avoid the first 10 or 15 mins of local and national. 

It's been the same 'blah blah blah' for the last couple of years.

Still trying though, they won't give up.  lol

I like Mike!

@Lucky Charm 

THEY who won’t give up WHAT?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I like Mike!

@Lucky Charm 

@Drythe 

The newscasters who blab blab blab the first 10 to 15 mins of every newscast.  They don't stop.  Blab Blab Blab.

I like Mike! 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I like Mike!

@Lucky Charm 

@Drythe 

The newscasters who blab blab blab the first 10 to 15 mins of every newscast.  They don't stop.  Blab Blab Blab.

I like Mike! 

@Lucky Charm 

So, who is Mike! ?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Nope, not me. As someone else stated "I'm a news junkie". I mostly read the papers, NPR, PBS, local news and the cable networks. (though one cable network I don't watch is Faux "news". I prefer truth to lies) If you aren't informed, how do you know what is going on in the world and right in your own backyard?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I can only watch so much news.  It's in our faces 24/7. Here part of an article re news and health that suggests watching for only 20 minutes a day. 

Effects of watching negative news

What the researchers also found was the impact negative news had on what people worried about:

We found that those people who had watched the negative news bulletin spent more time thinking and talking about their worry and were more likely to catastrophize their worry than people in the other two groups. Catastrophizing is when you think about a worry so persistently that you begin to make it seem much worse than it was at the outset and much worse than it is in reality – a tendency to make ‘mountains out of molehills’!

So not only are negatively valanced news broadcasts likely to make you sadder and more anxious, they are also likely to exacerbate your own personal worries and anxieties.

The authors concluded that “bombarding people with sensationalized negativity does have genuine and real psychological effects.”

Gorging on negative news & your health.

While staying informed about current events is essential, know your news limits, and have tactics that work for you. Maybe watch negative news for 20 minutes a night, or only read the paper.

When you feel yourself getting anxious over issues you can’t control, turn off the news, go for a walk, or turn on some classical music. Divert your attention and reduce your stress.

Gorging on negative news isn’t going to help you see anything clearer, and it certainly won’t enrich your life.  Carefully choose the source and amount of news you chose to watch or read.

Honored Contributor

I do watch David Muir on weekdays. I also watch my local news for info regarding the weather and what is going on in the towns around us but that's about it. I have never watched cable news nor have I ever had any desire to do so.

Super Contributor

I cannot stand my local news stations.  I live in a place with bad winters so the many news broadcasts are nothing but weather hysteria.  I no longer watch.  My city’s daily newspaper is also awful...for many reasons.

I don’t watch cable news either...I get my news from a handful of websites I trust.  Even some of those lately I have been avoiding because there is something that has been in the news quite a bit lately (especially in the state I live in) that really, really bothers me and I cannot read or hear about it at all.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I like Mike!

@Lucky Charm 

@Drythe 

I like Mike! 

@Lucky Charm 

So, who is Mike! ?

@Drythe....Hahahaha!...I got a kick out of this whole exchange between you and @Lucky Charm  ...kind of like..."Who's on first..."   Woman Very Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~