Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever Been Mad Enough To Throw Something?

Newly married, no children, full-time careers, new homeowners. Young husband played on 3 softball teams, was reserve player for 2 and played golf. Weekends I cleaned and washed clothes and did those tedious errands we don't have time for on weekdays. Honestly, I was having second thoughts about this marriage that was so convenient to this young husband. 

One Saturday I went to the 'mall' and lunched with my sis in law and arrived home in the afternoon. I loaded the washing machine and began picking up the house when husband arrived home in soiled softball uniform. He looked around the house and said ... 'What have you been doing all day?' I picked up a lamp and hurled it at him, but the lamp was still plugged in and didn't reach him. I didn't think it through, eh?

The next week I scheduled couples counseling. We discussed my disappointment and fears, husband's selfishness and his dad's bad example. I went for the separation and we sold our home. 

We reconciled almost a year later and celebrated our 40th anniversary last week. We had to churn it up before we could put it back together again. He's worked on his arrogance and selfishness. I've worked on my anger and developed more honest communications.

We're one of the lucky ones -- however, it wouldn't have hurt my feelings if the lamp was unplugged.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Yes. Many years ago I got mad at my husband and threw a whole plate if spagetti ar him. Missed, but walked out of the room and he cleaned it up. Ithink I would have left it there forever.

And once, a heavy crystal ashtray, it dented the floor when it hit. I don't know why or who that was for. We didn;t even smoke, ever. Good thing I've toned down now.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@chickenbutt   I very much understand what your intention was, I've been there myself where you just want them to shut up and you use what you have at hand, pitiful as it is. 

Decades ago in a former life of pent up frustration and no known way to express it, there were a few occasions when something flew without forethought. Once a small kitchen island was cleared in one felt swoop. Oh, that was delicious in the release, the crashing sounds, the physical expression of rage, the shock on faces that said wow, we pushed her too far. Another time a full cup of coffee splashed across a wall. I don't do that anymore. Still, in my entirely new life, on very rare occasions, anger will tweak that old impulse to send something flying. Instead I simply say I feel like throwing something right now and the discussion quickly de-escalates. I find it fascinating how it lies in the recess of my mind dormant but ready for action if needed.  Thank heavens for maturity and having mature people around me.

Hey Free!  It's so nice seeing ya.  Heart

Yup, sometimes a thing just happens and you haven't even had the chance to put any brain power in it.   You get triggered and off you go.

I'm glad that, with the help of a psychologist I had years ago, I have some great tools to keep me out of rage.  She was absolutely the best and she specialized in PTSD, so that was helpful.   I still have a card in my wallet that she gave me.  She wrote some things down on the back of one of her cards to look at when things are building up and I could lose perspective.   So many great tools came from her.  I struggle every day but I don't spend anywhere near as much time in the hole as I used to!

I really enjoy reading everybody's stories.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

What a great post!  Some of these have me in stitches they are so funny!  😂

There have been many times I've wanted to hurl something.  But I can honestly say that the only things I've thrown are "colorful" words from my mouth &/or a special "gesture" while driving.  The aggressive whackos in rush hour traffic is what causes that less than lady-like behavior from me.  🙄

Trusted Contributor

Sorry everybody...I'm laughing so hard there are tears coming down.

and yes...I'm pretty sure I've thrown a thing or two in my day but nothing specific comes to mind right now!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh heck yes.  I have thrown stuff and even threw stuff at people.  I am easy going and put up with a lot of garbage from people.  I hold in my anger, but when I have had enough, I am like an exploding volcano.  Sometimes it takes years for me to get to this point.

It has been many years since I have gotten mad enough to throw something.  When my children were small, I had my beauty shop in my home.  I could access it through my kitchen.  

All day long I would work doing hair while keeping an eye on my kids, who were in and out. We had a fenced in yard and they were not allowed to leave to play out of the yard. In between doing customers, I would check on them.  

Often they would get skinned knees and require attention or a neighbor kid would come in the yard and try to steal toys, etc.  It was a juggling act for sure and stressful.

My husband worked two jobs and felt " twirling hair" all day was easy and I had it pretty easy compared to him.

One day he said something about my easy work that angered me while I was cleaning up the shop.  He was standing in the kitchen with the door between the two areas opened.  I got so angry that I picked up a can of Clubman Talc and threw it in his direction making sure the cap was closed first.  It hit the wall in the kitchen and even though the cap was closed, the can opened up at a seam that was near the top of the can and a white cloud of talc covered the whole area.  My whole kitchen was covered with powder.

The powder showed up for many years no matter how many times I cleaned.  It got down behind the baseboards and in every nook and cranny in the room.  I would find a fine mist of powder on my kitchen floor for years.

That was the last time I have ever thrown something.  I learned my lesson, but I never forgot the comment about twirling hair all day.  When my DH is on his feet all day with his     Part time job after his retirement and complains about how hard it is to be on your feet all day, I asked him he can twirl hair at the same time.  

Now he understands.

7429BB76-5386-4FA5-917F-C8FB5652D3F9.jpeg

Another time I was sexually assulted by a boss while we were out of town at a hair convention.  He was in the ajoining hotel room and made sure my side of the door was unlocked and came in while I was in bed napping before dinner.

This awful man threatened my life and was trying to throw me off of the balcony from the 20 something floor because I rebuked him.  I threw lots of stuff in the room and probably destroyed quite a few things trying to get away.

To make a really long story short, I grabbed my still packed suitcase and went down to the lobby and asked about a train or bus to get me home.  My boss drove me and two other girls there...four hours away and I was not going to get in a car with him to go home. The hotel made a reservation for the train for me and called a taxi so I could  get to the train station.

While waiting for the taxi, my boss came down to the lobby to find me.  I ducked in the ladies room. This crazy man came in the ladies room after me.  There was a sitting room before you got to the toilet area with chairs and vanities.

On the vanity was a huge ashtray that weighed a ton in the shape of a starfish. I hurled the ashtray at my boss and split his forehead open.  And then ran past him. He was bleeding like a stuck pig.

I took the train home. My DH went with me to the shop on Tuesday morning to clean out my station.  I found out my boss required 10 stitches to close up his forehead.  I was 20 years old at the time...my boss was in his mid 50's. I am not sorry he got hurt.  He deserved it and more.

I wonder what story he told to his wife.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never chucked an object at a human being although a few choice words are a different story. That being said, if DH came home from "playing" ball/golf all day after I busted my butt cleaning and cooking asking what I did all day, well, he would have broken bat and a bent putter.

Honored Contributor

No, I've never been so mad that I would take it out on a perfectly good phone that never did a bad thing to anyone.  When I get mad at someone, I have no problems at all telling that person what I think and how I feel.  

Honored Contributor

I am more likely to slam a door than to throw something — too dramatic for me.

As a kid I learned to hide my anger.  

Honored Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

Yes, my ex husband threw him OUT! so fast his head spun. Does that count Woman LOL

@cactusgal......OMGosh, I did the same thing.  He left and went to his bimbo's.