Honored Contributor

Even a bandana is better than nothing

”The primary reason for wearing a face mask is to prevent personal droplets from spreading to others.

Researchers at Florida Atlantic University, in a study published in the journal Physics of Fluids on Tuesday, found that bandanas reduced the average distance that coughs traveled from 8 feet to 3.6 feet. A folded handkerchief took that distance down to 1.25 feet. Commercial cone masks reduced the distance to 8 inches, and a two-layer, stitched mask to 2.5 inches.”
-CNN
Honored Contributor

Re: Even a bandana is better than nothing

I posted from the very beginning (in Dec or Jan?) that wearing 'something' (even a clean bandana) has to be better than nothing at all............

At the very least, so we hopefully won't spread our own germs/virus/colds or whatever to others.

It made a lot of sense to me, at that time.

Keep safe, be careful.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

BD954EFE-3DE1-45B5-BD0E-12092E58759D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

What does a mask do? Blocks respiratory droplets coming from your mouth and throat.

Two simple demos:

First, I sneezed, sang, talked & coughed toward an agar culture plate with or without a mask. Bacteria colonies show where droplets landed. A mask blocks virtually all of them.

PNG image.png

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
”The primary reason for wearing a face mask is to prevent personal droplets from spreading to others.

Researchers at Florida Atlantic University, in a study published in the journal Physics of Fluids on Tuesday, found that bandanas reduced the average distance that coughs traveled from 8 feet to 3.6 feet. A folded handkerchief took that distance down to 1.25 feet. Commercial cone masks reduced the distance to 8 inches, and a two-layer, stitched mask to 2.5 inches.”
-CNN

I'm so disgusted by all the people who refuse to wear masks that it's their right not to. How selfish can you be?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

As of tomorrow morming (July 3rd) masks are mandatory in indoor public spaces in our county.  I'm so glad.  I hope they'll be able to enforce it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I totally agree with you. I see the arguement about the mask but if it help the situation we

can at least do it for others if we go out. Why risk someone health because you feel your right is being violated because a mask is required. They implemented a mask requrement in my town here in Texas and business owners who allow people in their business will be fined a $1,000 dollars per person without a mask. As a business owner the sign went on the door immediately without question, i have had people to tell me they will not be returning and I have no problem with that at all. Those who want to do business with me will be wearing a mask. Our numbers in my city has risen because of the opening of the state and bars have closed again and resturants are closing because people don't want to social distance themselves.

Honored Contributor

Am thinking of getting a face shield.  I saw them in Amazon.  They don't look invasive at all.  As of now, I wear the mask, but my face breaks out wearing them.  

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

-CNN

I'm so disgusted by all the people who refuse to wear masks that it's their right not to. How selfish can you be?

Someone in Florida has brought suit because mandated use of masks is a violation of their civil rights. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a rule follower by nature and don't think my rights are being violated by asking me to wear a mask to protect all of our health. I'll save that rage for real issues. But here we are in July and masks are still an issue. No wonder our society has been so slow to understand cultural things. Just my opinion after a long day.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau