Respected Contributor

Re: Eve, Sloaney and Kitten Cams

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman- I believe Mercy is the one that came in with the jaw issue.  She's only 6 mos old, a baby herself.

I just left there and Mercy was trying to nurse on Grace and then the babies have been trying to nurse on Mercy, LOL!!!  They got the paw of nope!  Too cute.

I am not going to wash it then, I don't work that much with fleece but it's polyester so logically it shouldn't shrink.  If it was dirty, that's different.  My piece isn't.  When I looked on line, it was one of the most expensive, $16.99/yd, but when I got it, it was on clearance and a lot cheaper.  It is very soft, but more flimsy, so I hope there's no trouble sewing it.  I'll put my walking foot on.

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness 

You may have gotten "ultra plush fleece" or "minky" both of which are softer and more difficult to sew on.

If you have a walking foot, you may need it.

I accidently got several pieces of ultra plush fleece and every time I sewed one, I fussed and fumed. When cut, it snowed little pieces and it was such a pain to sew, I would NEVER buy it again.

However, when sewn, it is lovely.  I noted Grace has a "minky" blanket (the one with little nubs) and that's another fabric I avoid.

I'm sure the smaller size will make it management, but I was making larger blankets and by the time I finished, it felt like a second job wrestling that fabric through the machine.  

Let me know how it comes out!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman @HerRoyaLioness 

I have no idea of what you are speaking of but I 

👏👏👏👏👏 👏 you

@Marp @MyShadowLove @luvmyteddy4 

mom - Macy takez de cocoa mlk - she too bigz two bee hare

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 7.32.52 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey  @Witchy Woman  @HerRoyaLioness  @MyShadowLove  @luvmyteddy4 

Must see: 

3:09 PM - Shelly in  3:17 PM - Stella at the vent (Shelly still there)  3:27 PM- Belly rubs and flops  3:48 PM- Elevator bum and purring

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

rest of the world

hissing animal = retreat slowly 

Shelly - let me rub the catermelon belly continaully as she hisses and growls at me

@Marp @Witchy Woman @HerRoyaLioness @MyShadowLove @luvmyteddy4 

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman(and any others who are interested) - add me to the list of one who will NEVER EVER sew with flimsy fleece again!!! It was awful, just as you said.  I had always stayed away from minky (but I love the looks so much) because I heard it was so hard to work with.  Well, this was crooked to begin with and even difficult to try and sew a straight line! Grrr!

Anyway, here it is, shadows and bad lighting and all.  I don't know if it's even good enough to send.  The pic doesn't do the colors justice, they are really beautiful and it is very soft, but that's about it.

image.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness 

Please don't be so hard on yourself!

It looks perfectly fine to my eyes, and it will work beautifully for the kitties.

The effort of wrestling that slippery fabric though the sewing machine takes all the joy out of the project.

I'm not sure what projects would be appropriate for Minky or ultra plush.  I've heard that sometimes sewers use it for only ONE side of a blanket and regular fleece on the other side.  

Believe me, I understand.  I had probably 8-10 very large blankets to sew and I was nearly nuts by the time I finshed them.  Not to mention the edges shredding.

I got to the point where I didn't cut off the selvedge edge just to keep it from shedding.

It's done now, so pat yourself on the back and celebrate!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman  @HerRoyaLioness 

HEADS UP:  If you are going to send blankets to TK you need to know the following from a PSA posted this morning:

If you are mailing things to TK, please make sure it is NOT over 50.00 or TK will have to pay duties/customs on it.

Please under value your work lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp- thanks for the heads up, that's good to know.  I didn't know we were going to have to value the items. Mine will be valued at Dollar Store level!

@Witchy Woman- I can't imagine sewing a larger blanket with this stuff!!!  I had trouble with this small project and even with a walking foot to try and sew it. I was getting better with it at the end, but will never do that again! Cat Frustrated

And yes, it snowed tiny flleece flurries.  I had a mess!   Which reminds me, make sure to check underneath your feed dogs on your machine where some of that fluff accumulates.  I just take the plate off and brush it out good.

Yes, minky is usually sewed to a more stable fabric, I've seen it paired with flannel and I've made lots of flannel baby blankets which are really nice.

I did notice Joanns had my color back in stock for regular fleece, I may order it, but I'm almost afraid to make any more.  It was traumatic, LOL!

At this rate they'll get mine at the end of the year!  I hope their immediate need was filled.

The only issue left is shipping - I will have to enter the post office, which isn't really an issue for me.  I've worn a mask going out since before they told us to.  I know the shipping is higher to Canada, but I wonder how much higher.

Well, I am having fun despite my grumbling - anytime I'm at my sewing machine, it's a good day!Cat Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness 

My blanket group laughed at me when I talked about my experience with the ultra plush.  They had some donated to them and asked if I would take it on....this, AFTER, I had wrestled with my own fabric.

I said I'd do it, and it turned out to be one or two additional blankets.  The walking foot was useless.  I found if I just put it on a longer stitch and pushed it through, it helped.

I love sewing, but this was right up there with trying to sew silk or chiffon in the annoying quotion!

I know TK will love getting it.  I really do think it will be find.  Pat Bonasara (sp?) used to do the TK blanket sales on Etsy.  Not sure if she is still around.  

In the meantime, I've committed to making blankets for one of my local rescues, so I'm trying to get that organized before undertaking anything for TK.