Honored Contributor

Re: Eve, Sloaney and Kitten Cams

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman 

so 👍👍👍 that your kitty is doing much better

i know what you mean by decluttering

as I was throwing stuff into separate  construction heavy duty sized garbage bags

donate or toss

the bags kept filling up and only a small area was cleared

bags of jars or tins that I might need - it was a lot and recycled cause no way would I ever need that many

I now have draws that are halffilled and closets that are emptied - I love looking at the emptiness of it all

I donated a beautiful ankle length choclate brown alpaca coat (wore less than 10 times) with a sash that kept opening - bought it when I was in my 20s since sashes looked so grown up - must have paid around 4 or 500 hundred in the 80s

I still held onto my 2nd choclate brown alpaca coat with toggles and a large shawl collar that you can pull over as a head wrap of sorts - still ankle lenght and cost 800 in the 90s that I wore less than 10 times 

I'm 5'1 and ankle coats are heavy and I have to kick it to walk

I run hot so what was I thinking? I now worn for several seasons $60 - a thin down knee length coat - wash and dry

so many suits (w/pants or skirts I wore - think bright colors ala LA Law and I thought ithey looked beautiful since they were not dark banker suits - I spent so much money Anne Kelin II and Tahari and the dry cleaning.

I've been decluttering a little by little since business casual and only held onto a few that I loved that were more netural in color- I closed my eyes and got rid of the last holdouts

When I hear of people owning hundreds of pairs of shoes or handbags - I shudder as opposed to being jealous

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey 

Sounds like you have made wonderful progress!

When I retired, I dumped all of my suits....linen and wool, all needing dry cleaning.  My monthly bill was crazy at one time.

And, I rode the bus, so I never felt like I could wear suits more than a few times before cleaning.

Yes, it is hard to understand what I was thinking with all these things.   I love Alpaca, but cannot wear it -- just like wool.  I ran across a huge Alpaca throw yesterday.....have not made the decision to part with it just yet.  But, it will never, ever be used!

As I said, there was a time that buying/having stuff made me happy.  Now, it just reminds me of what was and never will be again.

I'm crossing my fingers that the group I have coming to pick up this first large donation will work out. If so, I will have a steady source of giving.

With a large house, I've always been able to "store" things.  When I finally started boxing my dishes, etc., I was just stunned at how much there was and wasn't used.  It is overwhelming.

I'm pretty good about keeping my kitchen under control, but, believe me, I have gone through several times over the years and donated, donated, donated and thrown things away.

My sewing room is on the list for clearing things out.  This is where I've stored may seasonal items and home decor that I would switch out.  It is on my third floor and I don't have the energy anymore to change things out with each season.  It is pretty full, so I get a little stomach churning when I'm up there.

At least I still have room to sew my blankets, but 1/2 the stuff up there needs to go.

I'm hoping that, within a year, I can have most or all of the excess gone.

That's the goal.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman @Yahooey ...I hear you about decluttering as many others do also!...Just within the past several months, I was finally able to encourage (I'm wording it nicely here..lol)...my husband to give me a hand with our basement area as it was long overdue...I started working on it gradually over the Winter and he helped me finish it off this Spring.

Surprise...Surprise...He also tackled the garage except the shelving area still needs to be taken care of.

It's ironic because he is great at keeping his closet and dresser drawers all neat and very organized but, when it comes to the basement or garage, it takes quite a bit of prodding.

We made donations to two of our favorite charities, The Salvation Army and a local Veterans Organization...Also, a couple of my nieces were interested in some things so that made me happy!

@Witchy Woman ...I'm worried about that Fox that is hanging around your porch area where your senior kitty likes to spend his time! Cat Surprised

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove 

Yes, the fox troubles me, too. 

But kitty is spending more time in the garage for napping and I keep a close eye on him when he is on the back porch. 

He was a stray and loves the outside, so we never trained him to stay INSIDE all the time.  Although, as he's aged, he spends more and more time inside or the garage.  The garage has a special nook with a huge window.  His beds and food are right there, and a littler box.  So, he can doze off watching the birds and such.  It's quite cozy.  When I had more kitties, several favored that location.

If and when there is ever another cat, they will not be allowed outside unless we have a protected enclosure.  Period.

As to decluttering, if you have read my other postings, you know how much I've gathered already.  It's a lot.  I wish my pickup was tomorrow, but it is not until July 10.  It is a group that works for several organizations including St. Vincent's and the Purple Heart.  I just want these things gone so I can start on round 2 Cat LOL

My husband will likely never clear out his garage.  As I've mentioned, he still works and is a builder, so has stuff stacked to the rafters.  

I tell myself it is HIS space, and he'll clean it when he's ready.  It does not affect me other than when I am out there and see the clutter...it makes me dizzy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman ...Oh good, I'm glad to hear that your outdoor senior kitty has no problem staying in a safe indoor spot...I had meant to ask you, in my original post, if he would stay indoors...I certainly know that you will keep a very loving, watchful eye over him.

I have a little story to tell....At one time, we had an adorable cat named Fluffy...We were living in our first house then...She was only allowed to go out when one of us was home and only during the daytime...She never wandered very far and always stayed close to the house and didn't stay out all that long...just enough time to explore a little, enjoy some fresh air and sunshine.

Anyhow, early one lovely Spring morning, I was sipping on some coffee in the sunroom and Fluffy was looking out the window....All of a sudden, she quickly jumped down and rushed to the door and wanted out...I got up to abide by her wishes and, as she scooted out, I turned and saw this beautiful red fox coming around the corner of our house and heading out to our backyard area...The fox turned and spotted my Fluffy and Fluffy just started running right after the fox...I quickly ran out and was yelling for Fluffy...The fox just kept going with Fluffy right behind it and, after what seemed an eternity to me, Fluffy just turned around and headed back into the house very non-chalantly!

Meanwhile, I was a mess!...I scooped up my Fluffy and just kept hugging her!...When I had finally calmed myself down, I figured that the reason the fox probably kept on running was because the sight of this wild woman running out and yelling frantically probably scared the heck out of it!...LOL Cat LOL

Chapter Two Cat Happy

I definitely hear you about the "stuff" and decluttering...It definitely does have an emotional affect on us!...I did catch some of your thread...You definitely have a much larger house than we are in now...Actually, you have two counting the home that you built for your dear mom which is now a B&B...That's a lot of work!

Our first house was a split level and, when we moved from there and settled here in our cottage-ranch style house (it's about 14 years now), we then did a lot of decluttering so what we had to declutter here at this house this past Winter & Spring was a walk in the park compared to our first house!

This was a quick move here for us, as we had other plans to move elsewhere, but we got detoured by my husband's elderly parents who were starting to experience health issues and we were the only family members that lived the closest to them...So we had to quickly change our original plans and find something closer to my husband's parents...We were desperate at this point, as our house had already sold, so we spotted this new development and cozy ranch-style house and have been here ever since...Now that we are able to, I would like to make plans for another move, but that is another story.

Okay, I think that I have practically written a book here!..LOL..Let me know what  you think of it and I may consider sending it to a publisher for their review!  Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove 

I so enjoyed your story about Fluffy Cat LOL

Guess she didn't realize that chasing a fox was not a good idea.  But, you are right, the fox was likely running because of you Cat LOL

Most creatures do not want confrontation, but I've found that, over the years, the critters that were always pretty shy and stayed away have started coming closer.  I'm sure they have lost their fear of us since we have been back in the woods for almost 30 years. 

In typing that, it's hard to believe we've been here that long.  I can still remember when it was a blank space and we were building it.  Sigh....so long ago, now.

Because all my cats had been strays and came from the surrounding woods, they were always allowed out.  Well, they were never completely happy inside.  I was foolish in thinking they could always "take care of themselves" but won't go into all those bad decisions and the outcomes.

While I am reluctant to adopt any more cats at this stage in my life, if I ever do, they will be inside only or outside with close supervision and/or enclosed space.  It's just too riskey otherwise.

My Artemis still enjoys his outside area, but will come inside when it is cool/cold.  We are happy that he has recovered from whatever was wrong, but, at his age, he's used up most of his 9 lives.

As to moving again, I am hoping this is my last stop, but who knows.  When we spent 4 years building our "dream home" and then moving my parents here, I just figured I'd never leave.  The cottage is mostly empty and caring for all of this may eventually get away from us. 

Have not checked in on the TK crowd in a while, so I should do that today!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Weather here will be nice ahead of a "heat wave" next week.  But, that is how summer goes in the Maryland area.  I should be used to it, but still long for the cooler days of autumn.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman ....What a wonderful name Artemis is for your senior kitty...It had my curiosity as I knew it must have a very special meaning, so I did some googling and sure enough, I found the Greek meaning...However, I also came across an author by the name of Artemis Cooper and, since another of your kitties was named Cooper, I thought to myself that perhaps you were a fan of this author and that is where you got their names from...or is it just a coincidence?...Wonderful names! Cat Happy

We had a couple of indoor/outdoor kitties at our first home and it worked out very well, thank goodness....We never experienced any serious incidents and they both lived long healthy lives...We installed a pet door on our garage door and, as you can imagine, they had their special luxury area which was fixed up quite comfortable for them...My dear brother had built a farm-style cat house for them and it was adorable...I insulated it well and made sure they had comfy, soft bedding...They also enjoyed coming indoors when we were home and so they definitely enjoyed the best of both worlds!...Shadow found her way into our lives at 8 weeks old and she has been a strictly indoor kitty...15 years old now and doing very well, although we are keeping an eye on her kidneys, so she sees the Vet three times a year now.

I just can't imagine my home without the presence of a kitty(s) so I see myself, in the future,  rescuing senior kitties and making sure they live out the rest of their lives with lots of loving care! Heart

Isn't it wonderful that we are finally experiencing comfortable gorgeous weather and it looks like the rest of the week will be the same!...Windows are flung open and we enjoyed a very outdoorsy day today!  

Wishing Everyone A Great Weekend! Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman @Yahooey @HerRoyaLioness @Marp ...

Happy Sunday Everyone! Cat Happy

A couple of updates that I saw posted this morning in chat.

8:50 AMCatherine

PSA:  The Titans are going home today at 11 AM! Each is going to a great home. Look to this post for their FB pages and info https://www.facebook.com/462536430487...

PSA:  Serenity & Nelia have to dry up their milk supplies for their return to the HF, so all of their kittens are now at TKHQ. There may be some visits during the week. Cam will switch back & forth.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove 

@Yahooey 

@HerRoyaLioness 

@Marp 

So happy there are more going home.  TK has been full to the brim for a long time.  I know there were some with ringworm, but have no idea if this newest batch is among them.  It is hard for me to keep track.

I've spent more time watching the elephants at the Skyline webcam in Kenya. I don't get as attached Cat LOL

I know Shelly is going to be at the upcoming CatCon somewhere in California.  It's this week some time.  I'm sure she will be a super star! 

Another pretty day in Maryland, but a heat wave coming.  I'm already ready for autumn, and summer has just begun.

Everyone have a beautiful Sunday.

Did we ever hear from Clem again, or did she just disappear?  Makes me sad not knowing.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove 

Wanted to mention that Artemis was a name I heard from the TV show Wild, Wild, West.  Artemis Gordon.  I loved it then and still do.  Years back I had an Alistair.

But, I like the Artemis Cooper idea, better!

Cooper was my very special boy....I miss him every day.  He was, as they say, a dog in a cat suit.  Very funny, happy and a beautiful orange long hair cat.  He walked in one year, left and came back.  Like I said, I miss him every day...

I like dignified cat names...Although I had a Miss Peach, but mostly, I gave my cats people names.

Your Shadow sounds wonderful...at 15, he has lived a wonderful, long life. Kidneys are always troublesome.  I read someplace that the majority of cats have kidney trouble at one time.  

I've thought about taking in senior cats, but cannot stand the goodbyes...just crushes my soul.  So.....not sure of my future with any more cats.

Give Shadow a chin scritch from me!