Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eve, Sloaney and Kitten Cams

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness

Oh, I don't mind you going on.  I understand completely!

Your experience with quilting was much like mine.  Took a few classes and loved it.  However, I just didn't have the patience to see things through.  I think it is just my nature.

Your work must have been very nice!  I am in love with the complexity of piecing.  Working with points and circles.  Log cabin remains a favorite of mine.  So many ways to make it look different.  It really is fascinating.

Sounds like you were the best kind of quilter!  I am all for machine piecing/quilting, but, you are right -- back "in the day" it was frowned upon.  I knew a lady that hand pieced and quilted EVERYTHING.  Yikes!  Her things were lovely, but the hand piecing worries me.  I like to wash things and...well, eventually, those stiches give out.

However you get to a finished quilt is so personal, but I like machine everything.  A local shop owner that I visited recently has her shop filled with smaller quilts.  They are wonderful!  She has two long-arm quilting machines and advocates machine piecing/quilting everything.  The items she makes are so beautiful I was once again tempted to sign up for classes.  But, I resisted.

I don't want to be tempted to start collecting fabric again when, realistically, I know I will not have the patience to get the job done.

I learned to do the "wax paper" technique with applique.  It works great, but takes so very long.  Honestly, the smaller quilt I did took me years to complete.  Mostly because I was so slow.  As I said, I redesigned it to use print fabric to fill in many of the blocks.  It's still a nice quilt, but I knew right then my hand sewing days were over.

@Yahooey

I think there are some people who just don't take to hand work.  It's not for everyone.  I loved sewing from the first time I tried it.  My mother sewed all our clothes and I was immediately drawn to fabric/color/print.  I should have pursued my love professionally.  Maybe costume design. But, back when I was growing up, you didn't go to college for such things.

My mother was a professional seamstress, but in a factory doing piece work.  Not much fun, but she always loved it.  She passed along her love to me.

@HerRoyaLioness

Many communities think all strays should be put down.  It's sad.  It's the carelessness of people that allows them to flourish, yet they want them killed.

It's very sad and I try not to think about it too much.

The world is cruel in so many ways.  All we can do is try to counteract that cruelty as best we can.

And, now, I've gone on!

Back to our regularly schedule programming Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

@Yahooey- at least you can sew on a button!!!  My sister cannot even do that.  I remember her and my Mom taking a basic sewing class, as adults, and they flunked out, lol!  They tried, but just weren't into it at all.  Each to their own interets and talents.

My Mom was left handed and never learned to crochet or knit.  I got a book from the library and taught myself how to crochet and knit.  I crochet much better than I knit.  But I like doing these sorts of things.  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness @Witchy Woman @Yahooey @Marp

Do Sable and Pansy  seem strange to you?  They just sit there ignoring each other.   They have been together for quite a while now so shouldn't they have more interaction?   I know they might not know how to play, but shouldn't they cuddle a bit by now?

@HerRoyaLioness @Witchy Woman, this is so nice that you make warm blankets for the kitties.  I can't do anything like that.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM- that's true, they don't seem to interact much with each other.  It seems they tolerate each other.  Do you think part of it could be they don't feel well?  They are there for some health problems. Anyway they are not all alone, so I think that's good!

The other 3 are the same, bless those snugglers for coming in like they do.  It's probably a good thing I have restrictions here or I would have quite a large family of cats!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone!

Catching up on your posts!....I haven't been checking in on Tiny Kittens too much as it has been rather quiet and, to be perfectly honest, it makes me sad to see Elliott, Birch & Pele still not adopted yet and stuck in that one room for so long now...I wish that they would be given more room to play and roam around in and have a window to look out of and more human contact...My heart is breaking for them. Heart

@Marp...It was good to see your post and to read that your renovation and redecorating projects are coming along well....It definitely takes a lot of time, patience and energy but so worth it all once completed...The most important final touch will be to get you to a spa for a day of pampering to freshen you up also!...lol...I was thinking about your "critter crew" and how they all are handling everything that is going on? Cat Indifferent

@Witchy Woman@HerRoyaLioness...Your quilts and fleece blankets sound lovely....I used to do some latch hooking and started with a small heart-shaped rug and graduated to an approximately 4 x 5 angel rug...A woman I worked with at the time got me started and I found it so relaxing...Of course, it is much easier than quilting and making fleece blankets but I was so proud of myself, as I'm not usually into craft or sewing projects....About a year ago, while I happened to be at Barnes & Noble, my eyes caught a table filled with those coloring books for adults...I bought one called "Color Me Calm" and every now and then I take it out and start coloring away...kind of makes me feel like a little girl again...lol...I find it enjoyable and also very relaxing...So that's about it for me and any artistic projects.

@CLEM...I think that Sable and Pansy are good company for each other and that it is their health issues that are affecting their being able to interact in a more healthier and normal way with each other....I'm sure that the medications being given to them are also playing a part in their behavior....It does seem strange to always see them just laying on the windowsill and only moving when necessary....I'm concerned for them and haven't seen any updates on their health issues.

@Yahooey....I have no doubt that you are very talented and giving in your own special unique ways, but you just don't recognize them in yourself while others do...Example....your "kitteh talk" is the best that I have ever seen!...lol

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying warm and cozy! Heart

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

My goodness!  That Elliot is one gorgeous and elegant dude.  I saw him earlier today in some other location where it was very light and he seemed to look straight at me.  I have never seen his beautiful face like this close up and his whole body was looking beautiful with all those swirls.

With Pele having this beautiful face and Birch also having those distinct markings, they make a beautifully unique trio.  They should be showcased in more light (but I think that might be too expensive and also the kitties would not feel as comfortable).  It's just amazing that nobody has snapped them up yet.

Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove@Marp2@CLEM@Witchy Woman@Yahooeyand all,

I did see Elliott finally come out into the hallway and explore today!!!  Pele and Birch have already explored those areas, but I have never seen Elliott venture out - I'm so happy.  Cat Very Happy

They are let out of that room but I don't know how often, it might depend on the snuggler.  They have a large sunny area to explore, with some stairs and everything.  So good for them to be able to expand their horizons - they do need that.  They are a wonderful trio and are each such beautiful cats, which you can't really see good, unless they are in the right light, as Clem mentioned.

@MyShadowLove- I envy you for being able to finish rugs and being able to color in those adult coloring books!  They frustrate me to no end!  I go to the store and get a kids (Cinderella usually) coloring book, a new pack of crayons and I'm happy for a while!  Oh to be a kid again.......

Trusted Contributor

Hi folks!! I've been away from the forums a very long time.  But, I have continued to watch the Kitten Cams, especially TinyKittens.  I was doing a search for a TinyKittens video the other day and came upon this thread as a public post.  Just so you know, anyone can find these posts publically, so I would be very careful about what is said - especially when it comes to speculations of a personal nature.  Cheers. Adelina

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness

@CLEM

@MyShadowLove

@Yahooey

and everyone.

Yes, I believe we all have our own gifts to give in this life.  

@MyShadowLove  -- I tried hooking rugs many years back and never completed the one project.  I had trouble following the pattern!  Counted cross stitch was the same for me.  Very tedious.  It's wonderful you enjoy doing it.  Such a useful finished product.

Since all my blankets are given away, I don't feel compelled to pick out what works for me.  Although, I am drawn to certain colors.  Now, I just buy the craziest fabric I can find!

I know that coloring is popular now, but I never wanted to use my crayons as a child.  I wanted them to remain pristine!

@Adelina

We all love Tiny Kittens here and I don't think there have been any disparaging comments.  Like you, we enjoy watching and any specualtion is just that, speculation and conversation.  Not judgment.  Everyone recognizes how hard this work is and has nothing but admiration for Shelly and everyone at TK.

Esteemed Contributor

LOL @MyShadowLove, can I exchange a spa day for a couple of nights in a hotel/motel without the crew? 

You asked how they are handling all the changes.  They have all done remarkably well taking everything in stride until this past week when work started on mom's bedroom.

After mom went into hospital then the nursing home I had problems with Teddy marking everything in sight.  Over time that stopped but he has started some marking again as the bedroom is purged and furniture moved around, etc.

I guess the activity in that room either triggered memories of our move from FL to NC,  mom going away and never returning or a combination.  I am dreading when we start on my room (and not just because of Teddy lol).  Reassuring him will likely become a full time job for a while.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.