Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eve, Sloaney and Kitten Cams

I also posted this on betteb's Taylor Swift Kitten thread in pets but wanted to make certain no one missed it.

I interrupt this thread for a burst your heart (grab the tissues) message from the Godfather of kitten cams, Foster Dad John (FDJ):

The first thing that people typically think about when they hear that someone is fostering kittens, puppies, etc. is “cute fuzzy babies!” It’s hard not to feel like rainbows & flowers when you’re looking at a tiny creature that only recently came into this world, still unable to care for itself.

For the Foster Care Provider, we feel the same way, but we also face a world in which the skies occasionally darken. It’s not easy fostering animals - you dedicate many hours of your own time, pouring a little of your very soul into each tiny creature, only to say goodbye to them a couple months or so later as they are adopted into what we hope to be a good home. Then there are times that the foster is too sick or too weak and despite our best efforts pass from this world.

Sometimes, we’re told to distance ourselves to prevent from being hurt - but that’s not possible, and we couldn’t even if we tried. People foster because they want to make a difference for an animal, to give them a better chance at finding a home to live out their lives with love & contentment. To best prepare the fosters for such a future, we have to spend time with them, interacting with them, showing them that it’s okay to trust people, to love people - which wouldn’t be possible if we kept our distance.

Fostering is chock full of rewards though! Watching the animal open their eyes for the first time, taking their first steps, learning to run before learning how to stop - the milestones of their development met. Watching a semi-feral transition from being extremely fearful to curling up in your lap to sleep, watching the eyes of their adopters light up when they first hold their new family member.

They fill our lives with glee as we take care of them until the day comes when we say goodbye - a day that is always bittersweet. For the first time fosterer, they look into their heart & soul, to see if it is strong enough to endure it again. If they find it so, they start the process anew. For some, their heart couldn't bear to part and they adopt their fosters - we dub them "Failed Fosterers" but there's never any malice in it for we secretly wished we could adopt all of our fosters.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

Marp, thanks for restarting this thread.........Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

It is my pleasure Jessa.  I'm happy to see so many interested in these kitten foster families.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonderful News!...I just read from the chatters tonight that Rhodes was trapped today and Shelly has a room all set up for him until the Vet can check him tomorrow...Rhodes is the feral cat who has a terrible condition going on with one of his eyes...picture and story is on "people for happier cats" and LAPS has been trying to trap him for a while now!

Also, they got Quark too...Sloaney's sister, I believe, and Dr. F. will spay her tomorrow!

I just had to log on and share this with all of you...I'm getting ready for Shelly's return to hear the great news and updates!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for that wonderful news Wildflowers.  I can't wait to check out more information but darn, I just got my computer back today and I'm still working on getting everything back in order.  Hopefully tomorrow I can spend the day with kitties and now cats too.

Did Shelly make another forest?  Will there be a cam?  I'm sorry, I'm kind of out of it right now.  I can check for myself.

Thank you again.

Esteemed Contributor

Shelly set up the bathroom for Rhodes tonight, with Feliway and a white noise machine...He will be taken to Dr. F. tomorrow for a thorough examination and they will proceed from there, depending on how his physical goes...I'm not aware of a cam set up, as I'm sure she wants to keep it as quiet as possible for him.

Quark was taken to LAPS and will be spayed tomorrow morning

A great day for Shelly and LAPS! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove

Just wanted to let you know the @ is working now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@MyShadowLove

@Just wanted to let you know the @ is working now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Marp...I'm not sure where it shows up as, when I just logged on, there was nothing noted in "notifications"?

I just went back in the timeline to hear the latest on Rhodes and Quark....You probably know by now that Rhodes physical and surgery went well...He was neutered and his eye had to be removed...They surmise that he may have been hit by a car and that is what caused the damage...It was also noted that he is in very good condition, considering all that he has gone through...estimated to be about 5 years old and, physically, in good condition...He's a tough guy...Surgery went well and he was given antibiotics that will last for two weeks to prevent any infection, etc.

I was surprised to learn that he was to be returned back to the colony tonight, after going through surgery such as this...I thought that he would be staying at Shelly's for at least another night....just seems so soon.

Quark was spayed and returned also, so her and Sloaney have been reunited by now.

A very busy couple of days for Shelly...She sounds so tired...She handles it all so well; however, I'm sure that there are many emotions involved by all involved with rescue organizations such as LAPS...What a great team they have!

@Marp2

Esteemed Contributor

Wildflowers, when I posted that the @ was working it was after I had received a notification that someone had @-ed me on a post but it appears it is not working now. One of the threads mentioned that it worked for Q mods but not posters and they are supposed to be looking into it.

I would have been surprised if Rhodes had been kept. The other cat that had an eye removed (Rollins?) was also returned the day of surgery and has done really well.

I've come to the conclusion that Shelly is really a cyborg with emotions LOL. I don't know when she sleeps or eats or gets her nails done or has any personal time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read that adoption process for Eve and litter is going very well...Someone put in for Eve & Arora together...YAY...I'm so happy & thrilled that Eve has been paired with one of her litter ...I was a little concerned that most would be putting in for the kittens, so this is great news!...Of course, not surprising, as beautiful, gentle Eve has stolen the hearts of many!...I will definitely be following as closely as I can, as the adoption process takes place...I'm going to miss Eve and her adorable litter, as many will!

Marp, Yes, I agree about Shelly and I also wonder to myself how her husband even manages to find time to spend with her also!...LOL