Occasional Contributor

Could the other be condensed?

Honored Contributor

Yes! Condensed Milk! I remember that, too. Borden's. My mom had both, as I recall. I think I'll buy both options, just to see which one I like better in my coffee. My goodness. Reading these posts often bring back memories that I would have never thought of again in my lifetime, I'm guessing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I much prefer a mix of almond and coconut milk. It is also healthier, if you care about that.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/6/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I recall Pet canned milk in small cans. My mom always had it available when she served coffee. I'm thinking of buying some tomorrow.......to see if I still like it! Aren't there two different types of canned milk? One is evaporated.

You might be thinking of sweetened condensed milk like Borden's in the can.

Evaporated milk is simply milk with some of the water removed. Sweetened condensed milk is similar but is pretty heavy on added sugar. Used in a lot of baking recipes for sweet treats.

Have never tried it in coffee but if you like cream & sugar in your morning java it might be a good substitute in a pinch. Or as Honeybrown suggested, keep it at work. Your co workers are less likely to swipe it from the fridge. Wink

Super Contributor

In the far north, some populations where food supplies could only be shipped in, were provided with only condensed milk in the 70's. Studies concluded that this had terrible effects on infants, not to mention overall bad dental health of the populations....

Valued Contributor

If cows could they'd give Milnot.

Super Contributor
On 3/6/2015 gulf coast girl said:

If cows could they'd give Milnot.

Valued Contributor

That's what it said on the can, I remember that from way back in the 60's. Smile

Honored Contributor

A lady at work made some sort of macaroni salad with Milnot--never really understood just what that was. Filled milk? With some type of oil in it? Who knows!

As I understand it there is evaporated milk, condensed milk and sweetened condensed milk. Those are the only ones I know about. I keep dried milk to bake bread. Then there is that non-homoginized whole milk with the cream on top. You have to drink that in the house with the blinds closed though! The fat police will get'cha otherwise! Cool

Valued Contributor
On 3/6/2015 RedTop said: This was the only accepted creamer for my dads coffee until he died. I remember that we had a special lid with 2 sharp points underneath that punched the holes in the can of milk--- we stored the milk in the fridge with that lid on it.

Wow, that took me back to the 50's. What a great time it was to be growing up.