Honored Contributor

Re: Ethel Kennedy's granddaugher

@esmerelda wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Who doesn't know that taking drugs can kill you?  I see every drug overdose as a suicide.

Maybe they don't want to die, but they take too much of something that they KNOW CAN KILL them.  They "die by their own hand."  Suicide.

@esmerelda 

Is this the way you feel about those that eat too much food or drink alcohol to excess? If they die from their addiction is it dying by their own hand? Is that suicide? How about jaywalking - by your definition any decision made that results in death is suicide.

Is not conscious intent a necessary factor in suicide?

What about the countless numbers of patients that were prescribed opioids by medical doctors and now find themselves living in a hell they never bargained for.

Some people are already emotionally unbalanced and do not fully comprehend the possibility of overdosing.

Some people are in so much emotional pain that they have to block out the feelings and memories to get through their day. 

Regarding this very sad story of a young girl who appeared to have all that she could ask for, no matter what the family chooses to reveal, we may never know the reality of how the overdose came about, what emotional pain she was in, the nature of her sexual abuse by "someone she knew and loved", and barring a suicide note, we'll never know her conscious intent.

@jazzed  Pretty much.  Some people have a death wish, whether they consciously know it or not.

People who eat to the point of obesity resulting in bad health, people who drink alcohol to excess, people who jaywalk...they all know better.  But they can't help it? No.  They don't care enough to help it.  IMO.

It's not as simple as that @esmerelda !

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

"first name is pronounced SUR’-shuh"

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/saoirse-kennedy-hill/

Also seen it pronounced  SEER-shuh

In my large (extended) Irish side of the family, there are 2 Saoirses.  One pronounces the first syllable Sir/Sur, while the other pronounces it Seer.

Ethnic names have become very popular.  My generation Colleen and Kelly were the in Irish names.

My husband's first name is Italian.  We grew up in a "Wasp-y" area in central NJ.  Needless to say, he was taunted frequently not just by peers but also adults.  In school he used the Americanized version and when he was 18, changed his name legally.  Fast forward to the present, his Italian name is very "in" with this generation.

Respected Contributor

lulu1, being Irish maybe you can answer this for me.  I watched a documentary on the Kennedy family recently. The children of RFK & Ethel were interviewed and I found it interesting that all the kids kept calling Ethel  "mummy".    Prior to this I only knew  the British referring to mom as mummy.  Is this an Irish thing or an upper class wealthy family thing?

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

lulu1, being Irish maybe you can answer this for me.  I watched a documentary on the Kennedy family recently. The children of RFK & Ethel were interviewed and I found it interesting that all the kids kept calling Ethel  "mummy".    Prior to this I only knew  the British referring to mom as mummy.  Is this an Irish thing or an upper class wealthy family thing?

@KKJ 

My father called his parents Mam and Da. Mummy seemed (to me at least) more upper crust. (in general)

Respected Contributor

That's what I thought at first that it was an upper-class thing, but I read somewhere else that it was more common in Irish families.  Interesting.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

Hi KKJ - I took a quick look (didn't want to spend too much time, but I was curious) in Wikipedia on the paternal side of Rose and Joe Sr., as material side is not documented there. Rose's father was born in 1863 in Boston and Joe Sr.'s father was born in 1858, also in Boston, not Ireland. Perhaps mothers' sides had more recently immigrated?  I was surprised by this.

Ethel's father was born in Chicago and both her parents were of Dutch ancestory, so no Irish influence there.

The children of Ethel appear to be more American culturally, and their pronunciation might be more of a family affectation?

Honored Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

Hi KKJ - I took a quick look (didn't want to spend too much time, but I was curious) in Wikipedia on the paternal side of Rose and Joe Sr., as material side is not documented there. Rose's father was born in 1863 in Boston and Joe Sr.'s father was born in 1858, also in Boston, not Ireland. Perhaps mothers' sides had more recently immigrated?  I was surprised by this.

Ethel's father was born in Chicago and both her parents were of Dutch ancestory, so no Irish influence there.

The children of Ethel appear to be more American culturally, and their pronunciation might be more of a family affectation?

Maybe Joe and Rose picked it up when he was ambassador to the United Kingdom and some (Bobby and Ethel) kept it up.  I always connected it with the English and not necessarily with *monied* people--using that term.

Esteemed Contributor

Dear @dooBdoo, Your post really touched my heart.  It was a pure, unfiltered view of what you have faced and chronicled such depth of feeling.  And so honest and brave, too.  I hope you post frequently, as you have so many friends here.  I think you are a love, and your struggles have made you an even better person.  Isn’t kindness, understanding, and empathy what life should be all about?  You are an example of one walking the high road.

All my best wishes to you,

Pam

Frequent Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

Maybe Joe and Rose picked it up when he was ambassador to the United Kingdom and some (Bobby and Ethel) kept it up.  I always connected it with the English and not necessarily with *monied* people--using that term.

Yes, Lucky charm, definately British and not UC. It's equal to Mommy in the states. No difference. Still, not something you would perpetuate through 2 generations in the US without intention, I would think....

Anyway, a lighthearted exchange in the midst of a sad conversation....  Cheers! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @jazzed@NAES1, and @PamfromCT.❤️   And thank you, everyone, for the hearts.   It's really, really hard for me to write about this topic...  I'm grateful for the permission to share and for the extraordinary kindnesses extended by so many of you to all of us here, even while you all are coping with your own, often unspoken, struggles.   I hope we always can be here for each other.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova